How Uncertain are NAIRU Estimates in Colombia
Most of the proposed macro models and Phillips curves for policy design and analysis in Colombia depend on estimates of the potential output. However, it is widely known that this estimates are highly unreliable because of its level of estimation uncertainty. Following Staiger et al.(1996), we explore some common and not very common "fully structural" estimates of the NAIRU, the Non Accelerating Rate of Unemployment, provide confidence bands, and formally test the constancy hypothesis on the NAIRU. We also study the robustness of this results to the specification of the Phillips Curve. We find more reliable estimates of the NAIRU than previous estimates of the output gap, and find evidence in favor of a non constant NAIRU. Our results indicate that it has increased about 4 percentage points along the sample span. However uncertainty results are not robust to specification. There a single policy implication: An increasing NAIRU along wiith a policy of reduction and stabilization of inflation may imply increasing unemployment levels. Since the NAIRU is the component of unemployment that do not respond to monetary policy, it is up to the goverment to design policies for its reduction.
|Date of creation:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Cra 7 # 14-78 Semi-sótano|
Phone: (57-1) 3431111
Fax: (57-1) 2841686
Web page: http://www.banrep.gov.co/es/publicaciones-buscador/23
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jairo Núñez M. & Raquel Bernal S., 1997.
"El desempleo en Colombia: tasa natural, desempleo cíclico y estructural y la duración del desempleo, (1976-1998),"
Ensayos sobre Política Económica,
Banco de la Republica de Colombia, vol. 16(32), pages 7-74, Diciembre.
- Jairo Núnez & Raquel Bernal, 1997. "El Desempleo En Colombia: Tasa Natural, Desempleo Cíclico Y Estructural Y La Duración Del Desempleo, (1976-1998)," ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE, vol. 16(32), pages 7-74, December.
- Juan Manuel Julio & Javier Gómez, 1999.
"Outpout Gap Estimation, Estimation Uncertainty And Its Effect On Policy Rules,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
003309, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Juan Manuel Julio R. & Javier Gómez P., 1998. "Output Gap Estimation, Estimation Uncertainty and its Effect on Policy Rules," Ensayos sobre Política Económica, Banco de la Republica de Colombia, vol. 17(34), pages 89-117, Diciembre.
- Juan Manuel Julio & Javier Gómez, 1998. "Output Gap Estimation, Estimation Uncertainty And Its Effect On Policy Rules," ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE, vol. 17(34), pages 89-117, December.
- Juan Manuel Julio & Javier Gómez, "undated". "Output Gap Estimation, Estimation Uncertainty and its Effect on Policy Rules," Borradores de Economia 125, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Javier Gómez & Juan Manuel Julio, 2000.
"An Estimation of the Nonlinear Philips Curve in Colombia,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
001975, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Javier Gómez & Juan Manuel Julio, "undated". "An Estimation of the Nonlinear Philips Curve in Colombia," Borradores de Economia 160, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Douglas Staiger & James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1996.
"How Precise are Estimates of the Natural Rate of Unemployment?,"
NBER Working Papers
5477, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Douglas O. Staiger & James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1997. "How Precise Are Estimates of the Natural Rate of Unemployment?," NBER Chapters, in: Reducing Inflation: Motivation and Strategy, pages 195-246 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- King, Robert G. & Watson, Mark W., 1994.
"The post-war U.S. phillips curve: a revisionist econometric history,"
Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 157-219, December.
- Robert G. King & Mark W. Watson, 1994. "The post-war U.S. Phillips curve: a revisionist econometric history," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues 94-14, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Bai, Jushan, 1997.
"Estimating Multiple Breaks One at a Time,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(03), pages 315-352, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bdr:borrec:184. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Clorith Angélica Bahos Olivera)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.