Scenario Based Principal Component Value-at-Risk: an Application to Italian Banks' Interest Rate Risk Exposure
The paper develops a Value-at-Risk methodology to assess Italian banksï¿½ interest rate risk exposure. By using 5 years of daily data, the exposure is evaluated through a Principal Component VaR based on Monte Carlo simulation according to two different approaches (parametric and non-parametric). The main contribution of the paper is a methodology for modelling interest rate changes when underlying risk factors are skewed and heavy-tailed. The methodology is then implemented on a one year holding period in order to compare the results from those resulting from the Basel II standardized approach. We find that the risk measure proposed by Basel II gives an adequate description of risk, provided that duration parameters are changed to reflect market conditions. Finally, the methodology is used to perform a stress testing analysis.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.bancaditalia.it
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leslie E. Papke & Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 1993.
"Econometric Methods for Fractional Response Variables with an Application to 401(k) Plan Participation Rates,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0147, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Papke, Leslie E & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M, 1996. "Econometric Methods for Fractional Response Variables with an Application to 401(K) Plan Participation Rates," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(6), pages 619-32, Nov.-Dec..
- Bertocchi, Marida & Giacometti, Rosella & Zenios, Stavros A., 2005.
"Risk factor analysis and portfolio immunization in the corporate bond market,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 161(2), pages 348-363, March.
- Marida Bertocchi & Rosella Giacometti & Stavros A. Zenios, 2000. "Risk Factor Analysis and Portfolio Immunization in the Corporate Bond Market," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 00-40, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Christoffersen, Peter & Hahn, Jinyong & Inoue, Atsushi, 2001.
"Testing and comparing Value-at-Risk measures,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 325-342, July.
- R. Brummelhuis & A. Cãrdoba & M. Quintanilla & L. Seco, 2002. "Principal Component Value at Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(1), pages 23-43.
- Farshid Jamshidian & Yu Zhu, 1996. "Scenario Simulation: Theory and methodology (*)," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 43-67.
- Vlaar, Peter J. G., 2000. "Value at risk models for Dutch bond portfolios," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(7), pages 1131-1154, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bdi:wptemi:td_602_06. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.