The impact of the sovereign debt crisis on bank lending rates in the euro area
Since the early part of 2010 tensions in the sovereign debt markets of some euro-area countries have progressively distorted monetary and credit conditions, hindering the ECB monetary policy transmission mechanism and raising the cost of loans to non-financial corporations and households. This paper makes an empirical assessment of the impact of the tensions on bank lending rates in the main euro-area countries, concluding that they have had a significant impact on the cost of credit in the peripheral countries. A counterfactual exercise indicates that if the spreads had remained constant at the average levels recorded in April 2010, the interest rates on new loans to non-financial corporations and on residential mortgage loans to households in the peripheral countries would have been, on average, lower by 130 and 60 basis points, respectively, at the end of 2011. These results are robust to alternative measures of the cost of credit and econometric techniques.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Nazionale, 91 - 00184 Roma|
Web page: http://www.bancaditalia.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raffaela Giordano & Marcello Pericoli & Pietro Tommasino, 2013.
"Pure or Wake-up-Call Contagion? Another Look at the EMU Sovereign Debt Crisis,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(2), pages 131-160, 06.
- Raffaela Giordano & Marcello Pericoli & Pietro Tommasino, 2013. "Pure or wake-up-call contagion? Another look at the EMU sovereign debt crisis," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 904, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Giuseppe Marotta, 2008. "Lending interest rate pass-through in the euro area. A data-driven tale," Centro Studi di Banca e Finanza (CEFIN) (Center for Studies in Banking and Finance) 08101, Universita di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Dipartimento di Economia "Marco Biagi".
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987.
"Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-276, March.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015. "Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Carlo Ambrogio Favero & Francesco Giavazzi & Luigi Spaventa, "undated".
"High Yielders: the Spread on German Interest Rates,"
102, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Favero, Carlo A. & Giavazzi, Francesco & Spaventa, Luigi, 1996. "High Yields: The Spread on German Interest Rates," CEPR Discussion Papers 1330, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Carlo Favero & Francesco Giavazzi & Luigi Spaventa, 1996. "High Yields: The Spread on German Interest Rates," NBER Working Papers 5408, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giuseppe Marotta, 2008.
"Structural breaks in the lending interest rate pass-through and the euro,"
Centro Studi di Banca e Finanza (CEFIN) (Center for Studies in Banking and Finance)
08031, Universita di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Dipartimento di Economia "Marco Biagi".
- Marotta, Giuseppe, 2009. "Structural breaks in the lending interest rate pass-through and the euro," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 191-205, January.
- Carlo Cottarelli & Angeliki Kourelis, 1994. "Financial Structure, Bank Lending Rates, and the Transmission Mechanism of Monetary Policy," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 41(4), pages 587-623, December.
- Martina Cecioni & Giuseppe Ferrero & Alessandro Secchi, 2011. "Unconventional Monetary Policy in Theory and in Practice," Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) 102, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Albertazzi, Ugo & Ropele, Tiziano & Sene, Gabriele & Signoretti, Federico Maria, 2014.
"The impact of the sovereign debt crisis on the activity of Italian banks,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 46(C), pages 387-402.
- Ugo Albertazzi & Tiziano Ropele & Gabriele Sene & Federico M. Signoretti, 2012. "The impact of the sovereign debt crisis on the activity of Italian banks," Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) 133, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bdi:opques:qef_170_13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.