Italian householdsï¿½ saving and wealth during the crisis
This paper investigates trends in Italian householdsï¿½ saving and wealth in the last twenty years, with a special emphasis on the period immediately following the financial crisis in 2008. The analysis is based on data from the Italian Survey on Household Income and Wealth (1991-2010). The crisis has intensified the trends already under way, as confirmed by the further decline in the saving rate and the deterioration in the financial situation of low-income households, young people and tenants. Overall inequality in wealth distribution has increased. Poverty indicators based on income and wealth summarize these developments: in 2010, nine per cent of Italian households were on a low income and in the event of job loss, had sufficient financial asset to survive at the poverty line for barely six months. This percentage increases to 15 per cent for young people and to 26 per cent for tenants.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.bancaditalia.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kennickell, Arthur & Lusardi, Annamaria, 2005. "Disentangling the importance of the precautionary saving motive," CFS Working Paper Series 2006/15, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Andrea Brandolini & Silvia Magri & Timothy M. Smeeding, 2010. "Asset-based measurement of poverty," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 29(2), pages 267-284.
- Andrea Brandolini & Silvia Magri & Timothy M. Smeeding, 2010. "Asset-based measurement of poverty," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 755, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Marianna Brunetti & Elena Giarda & Costanza Torricelli, 2012.
"Is Financial Fragility a Matter of Illiquidity? An Appraisal for Italian Households,"
CEIS Research Paper
242, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 18 Jul 2012.
- Marianna Brunetti & Elena Giarda & Costanza Torricelli, 2012. "Is financial fragility a matter of illiquidity? An appraisal for Italian households," Centro Studi di Banca e Finanza (CEFIN) (Center for Studies in Banking and Finance) 12061, Universita di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Dipartimento di Economia "Marco Biagi".
- Jappelli Tullio & Pagano Marco & Di Maggio Marco, 2013.
"Households' indebtedness and financial fragility,"
Journal of Financial Management, Markets and Institutions,
Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 23-46, January.
- Cristina Barceló & Ernesto Villanueva, 2010. "The response of household wealth to the risk of losing the job: evidence from differences in firing costs," Banco de Espa�a Working Papers 1002, Banco de Espa�a.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bdi:opques:qef_148_13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.