Green Growth: A Case Study on the Danish and Chinese Sectoral Innovation Systems
The purpose of this paper is to provide relevant insights to policy makers interested in developing a green innovative industry. In order to shed lights on the process of building a competitive green industry, the paper leverages the conceptual framework of innovation systems. Therefore, the first paragraph reviews the theory of innovation system, explaining the reason behind the choice to use a sectoral approach. The second paragraph exploits the industry life cycle perspective to describe the evolution of the wind turbine technology. Then, within the next two paragraphs the key constituting elements of the Chinese and Danish systems are described. Finally, building on our understanding of the evolution of the wind turbine technology and of the configuration of the two sectoral innovation systems, the differences and similarities between the two cases are discussed and the key conclusions from the perspective of a policy maker are presented. Our main argument is that the stage of technological evolution together with the maturity of the domestic sector is one of the main explanatory variables that allows to understand which functions (and how) should be activated by the policies aiming at developing a green SIS.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.iefe.unibocconi.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Garud, Raghu & Karnoe, Peter, 2003. "Bricolage versus breakthrough: distributed and embedded agency in technology entrepreneurship," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 277-300, February.
- del Río, Pablo & Bleda, Mercedes, 2012. "Comparing the innovation effects of support schemes for renewable electricity technologies: A function of innovation approach," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 50(C), pages 272-282.
- Franco Malerba, 2006.
"Innovation and the evolution of industries,"
Journal of Evolutionary Economics,
Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 3-23, April.
- Bergek, Anna & Jacobsson, Staffan & Carlsson, Bo & Lindmark, Sven & Rickne, Annika, 2008. "Analyzing the functional dynamics of technological innovation systems: A scheme of analysis," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 407-429, April.
- Breschi, Stefano & Malerba, Franco, 2001. "The Geography of Innovation and Economic Clustering: Some Introductory Notes," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(4), pages 817-33, December.
- Han, Jingyi & Mol, Arthur P.J. & Lu, Yonglong & Zhang, Lei, 2009. "Onshore wind power development in China: Challenges behind a successful story," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 2941-2951, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bcu:iefewp:iefewp53. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lia Bertoglio)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.