On the Value of Virtual Currencies
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Wilko Bolt & Maarten R.C. Van Oordt, 2020. "On the Value of Virtual Currencies," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 52(4), pages 835-862, June.
References listed on IDEAS
- Biais, Bruno & Bisière, Christophe & Bouvard, Matthieu & Casamatta, Catherine & Menkveld, Albert J., 2018.
"Equilibrium Bitcoin Pricing,"
TSE Working Papers
18-973, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE), revised Nov 2021.
- Bruno Biais & Christophe Bisière & Matthieu Bouvard & Catherine Casamatta & Albert J. Menkveld, 2020. "Equilibrium Bitcoin Pricing," EconPol Working Paper 48, ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
- Bruno Biais & Albert Menkveld & Catherine Casamatta & Christophe Bisière & Matthieu Bouvard, 2019. "Equilibrium Bitcoin Pricing," 2019 Meeting Papers 360, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Hart, Oliver D & Kreps, David M, 1986.
"Price Destabilizing Speculation,"
Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(5), pages 927-952, October.
- Hart, Oliver D. & Kreps, David M., 1986. "Price Destabilizing Speculation," Scholarly Articles 3448679, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Milton Friedman, 1971.
"A Theoretical Framework for Monetary Analysis,"
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number frie71-1, April.
- Friedman, Milton, 1970. "A Theoretical Framework for Monetary Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(2), pages 193-238, March-Apr.
- William J. Baumol, 1952. "The Transactions Demand for Cash: An Inventory Theoretic Approach," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 66(4), pages 545-556.
- John Kareken & Neil Wallace, 1981. "On the Indeterminacy of Equilibrium Exchange Rates," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 96(2), pages 207-222.
- Beate Sauer, 2015. "Central Bank Behaviour Concerning the Level of Bitcoin Regulation as a Policy Variable," Athens Journal of Business & Economics, Athens Institute for Education and Research (ATINER), vol. 1(4), pages 273-286, April.
- Neil Gandal & Hanna Halaburda, 2014.
"Competition in the Cryptocurrency Market,"
Staff Working Papers
14-33, Bank of Canada.
- Neil Gandal & Hanna Halaburda, 2014. "Competition in the Cryptocurrency Market," CESifo Working Paper Series 4980, CESifo.
- Neil Gandal & Hanna Halaburda, 2014. "Competition in the Cryptocurrency Market," Working Papers 14-17, NET Institute.
- Gandal, Neil & Halaburda, Hanna, 2014. "Competition in the Cryptocurrency Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 10157, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Anton Badev & Matthew Chen, 2014. "Bitcoin: Technical Background and Data Analysis," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2014-104, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Ali, Robleh & Barrdear, John & Clews, Roger & Southgate, James, 2014. "The economics of digital currencies," Bank of England Quarterly Bulletin, Bank of England, vol. 54(3), pages 276-286.
- Laidler, David, 1984.
"The 'Buffer Stock' Notion in Monetary Economics,"
Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 94(376a), pages 17-34, Supplemen.
- David Laidler, 1983. "The "Buffer Stock" Notion in Monetary Economics," University of Western Ontario, Departmental Research Report Series 8313, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Viaene, Jean-Marie & de Vries, Casper G., 1992.
"International trade and exchange rate volatility,"
European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 1311-1321, August.
- Viaene, J-M. & De Vries, C.G., 1989. "International Trade And Exchange Rate Volatility," Papers 8905, Erasmus University of Rotterdam - Institute for Economic Research.
- David Hirshleifer, 1988. "Residual Risk, Trading Costs, and Commodity Futures Risk Premia," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 1(2), pages 173-193.
- Rodney Garratt & Neil Wallace, 2018.
"Bitcoin 1, Bitcoin 2, ....: An Experiment In Privately Issued Outside Monies,"
Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 56(3), pages 1887-1897, July.
- Garratt, Rodney & Wallace, Neil, 2016. "Bitcoin 1, Bitcoin 2, ... : An experiment in privately issued outside monies," University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series qt91c7x1js, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
- Jean‐Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 2006.
"Two‐sided markets: a progress report,"
RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 37(3), pages 645-667, September.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Tirole, Jean, 2005. "Two-Sided Markets : A Progress Report," IDEI Working Papers 275, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Jean Tirole & Jean-Charles Rochet, 2006. "Two-Sided Markets : A Progress Report," Post-Print hal-00173715, HAL.
- Rudiger Dornbusch & Ferico Sturzenegger & Holger Wolf, 1990. "Extreme Inflation: Dynamics and Stabilization," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 21(2), pages 1-84.
- Leland L. Johnson, 1960. "The Theory of Hedging and Speculation in Commodity Futures," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 27(3), pages 139-151.
- Mizen, Paul, 1997. "Microfoundations for a Stable Demand for Money Function," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(443), pages 1202-1212, July.
- Beat Weber, 2014. "Bitcoin – The Promise and Limits of Private Innovation in Monetary and Payment Systems," Monetary Policy & the Economy, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 4, pages 53-66.
- Lee Kuo Chuen, David (ed.), 2015. "Handbook of Digital Currency," Elsevier Monographs, Elsevier, edition 1, number 9780128021170.
- Francois R. Velde, 2013. "Bitcoin: a primer," Chicago Fed Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Dec.
- Hanna Halaburda & Miklos Sarvary & Guillaume Haeringer, 2022.
edition 2, number 978-3-030-88931-9, March.
- Hanna Halaburda & Miklos Sarvary, 2016. "Beyond Bitcoin," Palgrave Macmillan Books, Palgrave Macmillan, number 978-1-137-50642-9.
- Cheah, Eng-Tuck & Fry, John, 2015. "Speculative bubbles in Bitcoin markets? An empirical investigation into the fundamental value of Bitcoin," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 130(C), pages 32-36.
- Beat Weber, 2016. "Bitcoin and the legitimacy crisis of money," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 40(1), pages 17-41.
- Rainer Böhme & Nicolas Christin & Benjamin Edelman & Tyler Moore, 2015. "Bitcoin: Economics, Technology, and Governance," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 29(2), pages 213-238, Spring.
- Athey, Susan & Parashkevov, Ivo & Sarukkai, Vishnu & Xia, Jing, 2016. "Bitcoin Pricing, Adoption, and Usage: Theory and Evidence," Research Papers 3469, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Dwyer, Gerald P., 2015. "The economics of Bitcoin and similar private digital currencies," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 17(C), pages 81-91.
- Adrian (Wai-Kong) Cheung & Eduardo Roca & Jen-Je Su, 2015. "Crypto-currency bubbles: an application of the Phillips-Shi-Yu (2013) methodology on Mt. Gox bitcoin prices," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(23), pages 2348-2358, May.
- repec:rje:randje:v:37:y:2006:3:p:668-691 is not listed on IDEAS
- Peitz, Martin & Waldfogel, Joel, 2012. "The Oxford Handbook of the Digital Economy," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195397840, November.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Wilko Bolt & Maarten R.C. Van Oordt, 2020.
"On the Value of Virtual Currencies,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 52(4), pages 835-862, June.
- Wilko Bolt & Maarten van Oordt, 2016. "On the Value of Virtual Currencies," Staff Working Papers 16-42, Bank of Canada.
- Wilko Bolt & Maarten van Oordt, 2016. "On the value of virtual currencies," DNB Working Papers 521, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Parthajit Kayal & Purnima Rohilla, 2021. "Bitcoin in the economics and finance literature: a survey," SN Business & Economics, Springer, vol. 1(7), pages 1-21, July.
- Fantazzini, Dean & Nigmatullin, Erik & Sukhanovskaya, Vera & Ivliev, Sergey, 2016.
"Everything you always wanted to know about bitcoin modelling but were afraid to ask. I,"
Applied Econometrics, Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration (RANEPA), vol. 44, pages 5-24.
- Fantazzini, Dean & Nigmatullin, Erik & Sukhanovskaya, Vera & Ivliev, Sergey, 2016. "Everything you always wanted to know about bitcoin modelling but were afraid to ask," MPRA Paper 71946, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2016.
- Andrea Flori, 2019. "Cryptocurrencies In Finance: Review And Applications," International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance (IJTAF), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 22(05), pages 1-22, August.
- Pieters, Gina & Vivanco, Sofia, 2017.
"Financial regulations and price inconsistencies across Bitcoin markets,"
Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 1-14.
- Gina Pieters & Sofia Vivanco, 2016. "Financial regulations and price inconsistencies across bitcoin markets," Globalization Institute Working Papers 293, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Alexis Derviz, 2019. "Coexistence of Physical and Crypto Assets in a Stochastic Endogenous Growth Model," Working Papers 2019/7, Czech National Bank.
- Fry, John & Cheah, Eng-Tuck, 2016. "Negative bubbles and shocks in cryptocurrency markets," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 47(C), pages 343-352.
- Grym, Aleksi, 2018. "The great illusion of digital currencies," BoF Economics Review 1/2018, Bank of Finland.
- Zura Kakushadze & Jim Kyung-Soo Liew, 2018. "CryptoRuble: From Russia with Love," Papers 1801.05760, arXiv.org.
- Christie Smith & Aaron Kumar, 2018.
"Crypto‐Currencies – An Introduction To Not‐So‐Funny Moneys,"
Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(5), pages 1531-1559, December.
- Aaron Kumar & Christie Smith, 2017. "Crypto-currencies – An introduction to not-so-funny moneys," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Analytical Notes series AN2017/07, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- Greg W. Hunter & Craig Kerr, 2019. "Virtual Money Illusion and the Fundamental Value of Non-Fiat Anonymous Digital Payment Methods," International Advances in Economic Research, Springer;International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 25(2), pages 151-164, May.
- Flori, Andrea, 2019. "News and subjective beliefs: A Bayesian approach to Bitcoin investments," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 50(C), pages 336-356.
- Ed Saiedi & Anders Broström & Felipe Ruiz, 2021. "Global drivers of cryptocurrency infrastructure adoption," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 57(1), pages 353-406, June.
- Anoop S Kumar & Taufeeq Ajaz, 2019. "Co-movement in crypto-currency markets: evidences from wavelet analysis," Financial Innovation, Springer;Southwestern University of Finance and Economics, vol. 5(1), pages 1-17, December.
- Corbet, Shaen & Lucey, Brian & Urquhart, Andrew & Yarovaya, Larisa, 2019. "Cryptocurrencies as a financial asset: A systematic analysis," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 62(C), pages 182-199.
- Katsiampa, Paraskevi, 2019. "An empirical investigation of volatility dynamics in the cryptocurrency market," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 50(C), pages 322-335.
- Obryan Poyser, 2019. "Exploring the dynamics of Bitcoin’s price: a Bayesian structural time series approach," Eurasian Economic Review, Springer;Eurasia Business and Economics Society, vol. 9(1), pages 29-60, March.
- Aurelio F. Bariviera & Ignasi Merediz‐Solà, 2021.
"Where Do We Stand In Cryptocurrencies Economic Research? A Survey Based On Hybrid Analysis,"
Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(2), pages 377-407, April.
- Aurelio F. Bariviera & Ignasi Merediz-Sol`a, 2020. "Where do we stand in cryptocurrencies economic research? A survey based on hybrid analysis," Papers 2003.09723, arXiv.org.
- Zimmerman, Peter, 2020. "Blockchain structure and cryptocurrency prices," Bank of England working papers 855, Bank of England.
- Lin William Cong & Ye Li & Neng Wang, 2021.
"Tokenomics: Dynamic Adoption and Valuation [The demand of liquid assets with uncertain lumpy expenditures],"
Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 34(3), pages 1105-1155.
- Cong, Lin William & Li, Ye & Wang, Neng, 2018. "Tokenomics: Dynamic Adoption and Valuation," Working Paper Series 2018-15, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Lin William Cong & Ye Li & Neng Wang, 2020. "Tokenomics: Dynamic Adoption and Valuation," NBER Working Papers 27222, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
More about this item
KeywordsAsset Pricing; E-Money; Exchange rates;
All these keywords.
- E42 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Monetary Sytsems; Standards; Regimes; Government and the Monetary System
- E51 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Money Supply; Credit; Money Multipliers
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- G1 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-MON-2016-09-11 (Monetary Economics)
- NEP-PAY-2016-09-11 (Payment Systems & Financial Technology)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bca:bocawp:16-42. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/bocgvca.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If CitEc recognized a bibliographic reference but did not link an item in RePEc to it, you can help with this form .
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/bocgvca.html .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.