The Dynamics of Revenue-Neutral Trade Liberalization
The paper studies the dynamic welfare and macroeconomic effects of a revenue-neutral strategy of offsetting tariff reductions with increases in destination-based consumption taxes. To this end, we employ a dynamic general equilibrium model of a small open developing economy, featuring endogenous labor supply and sector-specifc capital and land. In contrast to conventional results from tax-tariff reform studies based on fixed factor endowments, we and that instantaneous utility and the volume of trade fall on impact. Aggregate output rises in the short run, refl ecting increased labor supply and a more efficient allocation of resources across sectors. In the long run, however, aggregate output declines, whereas instantaneous utility and the volume of trade increase compared to the pre-reform equilibrium. For a plausible calibration of the model, lifetime welfare is shown to increase.
|Date of creation:||21 Dec 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 404-413-0235|
Web page: http://aysps.gsu.edu/isp/index.html
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Uzawa, H, 1969. "Time Preference and the Penrose Effect in a Two-Class Model of Economic Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(4), pages 628-52, Part II, .
- Naito, Takumi, 2006. "Growth, revenue, and welfare effects of tariff and tax reform: Win-win-win strategies," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(6-7), pages 1263-1280, August.
- Hatta, Tatsuo, 1977. "A Recommendation for a Better Tariff Structure," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(8), pages 1859-69, November.
- Ligthart, J.E. & van der Meijden, G.C., 2010.
"Coordinated Tax-Tariff Reforms, Informality, and Welfare Distribution,"
2010-61, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Jenny Ligthart & Gerard C. van der Meijden, 2010. "Coordinated Tax-Tariff Reforms, Informality, and Welfare Distribution," CESifo Working Paper Series 3107, CESifo Group Munich.
- Jenny Ligthart & Gerard C. van der Meijden, 2010. "Coordinated Tax-Tari Reforms, Informality, and Welfare Distribution," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper1029, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Giavazzi, Francesco & Wyplosz, Charles, 1985. "The Zero Root Problem: A Note on the Dynamic Determination of the Stationary Equilibrium in Linear Models," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(2), pages 353-57, April.
- Fukushima, Takashi, 1979. "Tariff Structure, Nontraded Goods and Theory of Piecemeal Policy Recommendations," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 20(2), pages 427-35, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ays:ispwps:paper1124. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paul Benson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.