Population Aging, the Composition of Government Spending,and Endogenous Economic Growth in Politico-Economic Equilibrium
This paper introduces a democratic voting process into an OLG economy in order to analyze the e ffects of a rising old-age dependency ratio on the composition of government spending and endogenous economic growth. Forward-looking agents vote each period on the public policy mix between productive government expenditure and public consumption spending that benefi ts the elderly. Population aging shifts political power from the young to the old. While this does not aff ect public productive expenditure, it leads to an increase in public spending on the elderly and a slowdown in economic growth. However, the overall e ffect on long-term economic growth is positive. This is due to reduced capital dilution or increased saving.
|Date of creation:||17 Feb 2011|
|Note:||This paper is part of http://archiv.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/volltextserver/view/schriftenreihen/sr-3.html|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Grabengasse 14, D-69117 Heidelberg|
Phone: +49-6221-54 2905
Fax: +49-6221-54 2914
Web page: http://www.awi.uni-heidelberg.de/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gonzalez-Eiras, Martin & Niepelt, Dirk, 2007.
"Population Ageing, Government Budgets, and Productivity Growth in Politico-Economic Equilibrium,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6581, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Martín Gonzales-Eiras & Dirk Niepelt, 2007. "Population Ageing, Government Budgets, and Productivity Growth in Politico-Economic Equilibrium," Working Papers 07.05, Swiss National Bank, Study Center Gerzensee.
- Gonzalez-Eiras, Martin & Niepelt, Dirk, 2008. "The future of social security," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 197-218, March.
- Martin Gonzalez-Eiras & Dirk Niepelt, 2007. "The Future of Social Security," Working Papers 07.02, Swiss National Bank, Study Center Gerzensee.
- Gonzalez-Eiras, Martin & Niepelt, Dirk, 2007. "The Future of Social Security," CEPR Discussion Papers 6245, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.