Agent-based modelling - A methodology for the analysis of qualitative development processes
The tremendous development of an easy access to computational power within the last 30 years has led to the widespread use of numerical approaches in almost all scientific disciplines. The first generation of simulation models was rather focused on stylized empirical phenomena. With agent-based modelling, however, the trade-off between simplicity in modelling and taking into account the complexity of the socio-economic reality has been enhanced to a large extent. This paper serves as a basic instruction on how to model qualitative change using an agent-based modelling procedure. The necessity to focus on qualitative change is discussed, agent-based modelling is explained and finally an example is given to show the basic simplicity in modelling.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 821 598 4060
Fax: +49 821 598 4217
Web page: http://www.wiwi.uni-augsburg.de/vwl/institut
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Boulding, K E, 1991. "What Is Evolutionary Economics?," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 9-17, January.
- Thomas Grebel & Andreas Pyka & Horst Hanusch, 2003.
"An Evolutionary Approach to the Theory of Entrepreneurship,"
Industry and Innovation,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(4), pages 493-514.
- Thomas Grebel & Andreas Pyka & Horst Hanusch, 2004. "An evolutionary approach to the theory of entrepreneurship," Chapters, in: Applied Evolutionary Economics and Complex Systems, chapter 7 Edward Elgar.
- Thomas Grebel & Andreas Pyka & Horst Hanusch, 2001. "An Evolutionary Approach to the Theory of Entrepreneurship," Discussion Paper Series 206, Universitaet Augsburg, Institute for Economics.
- Evans, David S & Jovanovic, Boyan, 1989. "An Estimated Model of Entrepreneurial Choice under Liquidity Constraints," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 808-27, August.
- Cantner, Uwe & Pyka, Andreas, 1998. "Technological evolution -- an analysis within the knowledge-based approach," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 85-107, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aug:augsbe:0251. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dr. Albrecht Bossert)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.