Market Efficiency and Government Interventions in Prewar Japanese Rice Futures Markets
This paper measures the joint degree of market efficiency in prewar Japanese rice futures markets using a non-Bayesian time-varying VAR model. We find that the two major rice futures markets (in Tokyo and Osaka) were almost efficient. We also find that government interventions involving the delivery of imported rice from Taiwan and Korea often reduced futures market efficiency. This relationship continued as long as a quality difference existed between imported and domestic rice.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shigeyuki Hamori & Naoko Hamori & David A. Anderson, 2001. "An Empirical Analysis of the Efficiency of the Osaka Rice Market During Japan's Tokugawa Era," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(9), pages 861-874, 09.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1970. "Efficient Capital Markets: A Review of Theory and Empirical Work," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(2), pages 383-417, May.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 1992.
"Testing for parameter instability in linear models,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 517-533, August.
- Tom Doan, . "STABTEST: RATS procedure to perform Hansen's stability test for OLS," Statistical Software Components RTS00199, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Mikio Ito & Akihiko Noda & Tatsuma Wada, 2016.
"The evolution of stock market efficiency in the US: a non-Bayesian time-varying model approach,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 48(7), pages 621-635, February.
- Mikio Ito & Akihiko Noda & Tatsuma Wada, 2012. "The Evolution of Stock Market Efficiency in the US: A Non-Bayesian Time-Varying Model Approach," Papers 1202.0100, arXiv.org, revised Aug 2015.
- Graham Elliott & Thomas J. Rothenberg & James H. Stock, 1992.
"Efficient Tests for an Autoregressive Unit Root,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0130, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hamilton, James D., 1987. "Monetary factors in the great depression," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 145-169, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1404.1164. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.