Hedging in L\'evy models and the time step equivalent of jumps
We consider option hedging in a model where the underlying follows an exponential L\'evy process. We derive approximations to the variance-optimal and to some suboptimal strategies as well as to their mean squared hedging errors. The results are obtained by considering the L\'evy model as a perturbation of the Black-Scholes model. The approximations depend on the first four moments of logarithmic stock returns in the L\'evy model and option price sensitivities (greeks) in the limiting Black-Scholes model. We illustrate numerically that our formulas work well for a variety of L\'evy models suggested in the literature. From a theoretical point of view, it turns out that jumps have a similar effect on hedging errors as discrete-time hedging in the Black-Scholes model.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Karel Janeček & Steven Shreve, 2004. "Asymptotic analysis for optimal investment and consumption with transaction costs," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 181-206, 05.
- Ralf Korn, 1998. "Portfolio optimisation with strictly positive transaction costs and impulse control," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 2(2), pages 85-114.
- Merton, Robert C., 1976.
"Option pricing when underlying stock returns are discontinuous,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 3(1-2), pages 125-144.
- Merton, Robert C., 1975. "Option pricing when underlying stock returns are discontinuous," Working papers 787-75., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Fabio Antonelli & Sergio Scarlatti, 2009. "Pricing options under stochastic volatility: a power series approach," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 269-303, April.
- Mats Brodén & Peter Tankov, 2011.
"Tracking Errors From Discrete Hedging In Exponential Lévy Models,"
International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance (IJTAF),
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 14(06), pages 803-837.
- Mats Brod\'en & Peter Tankov, 2010. "Tracking errors from discrete hedging in exponential L\'evy models," Papers 1003.0709, arXiv.org.
- Halil Mete Soner & Guy Barles, 1998. "Option pricing with transaction costs and a nonlinear Black-Scholes equation," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 2(4), pages 369-397.
- Masaaki Fukasawa, 2011. "Asymptotic analysis for stochastic volatility: martingale expansion," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 15(4), pages 635-654, December.
- Emmanuel Temam & Emmanuel Gobet, 2001. "Discrete time hedging errors for options with irregular payoffs," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 357-367.
- Friedrich Hubalek & Jan Kallsen & Leszek Krawczyk, 2006. "Variance-optimal hedging for processes with stationary independent increments," Papers math/0607112, arXiv.org.
- Michael Mania & Martin Schweizer, 2005. "Dynamic exponential utility indifference valuation," Papers math/0508489, arXiv.org.
- Bertsimas, Dimitris & Kogan, Leonid & Lo, Andrew W., 2000. "When is time continuous?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 173-204, February.
- Madan, Dilip B & Seneta, Eugene, 1990. "The Variance Gamma (V.G.) Model for Share Market Returns," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63(4), pages 511-24, October.
- Tankov, Peter & Voltchkova, Ekaterina, 2009. "Asymptotic analysis of hedging errors in models with jumps," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 119(6), pages 2004-2027, June.
- Eric Benhamou & Emmanuel Gobet & Mohammed Miri, 2010. "Expansion formulas for European options in a local volatility model," Post-Print hal-00325939, HAL.
- Schweizer, Martin, 1991. "Option hedging for semimartingales," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 339-363, April.
- E. Temam, 2003. "Analysis of Error with Malliavin Calculus: Application to Hedging," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(1), pages 201-214.
- A. E. Whalley & P. Wilmott, 1997. "An Asymptotic Analysis of an Optimal Hedging Model for Option Pricing with Transaction Costs," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(3), pages 307-324.
- Toft, Klaus Bjerre, 1996. "On the Mean-Variance Tradeoff in Option Replication with Transactions Costs," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 31(02), pages 233-263, June.
- E. Benhamou & E. Gobet & M. Miri, 2010. "Expansion Formulas For European Options In A Local Volatility Model," International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance (IJTAF), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 13(04), pages 603-634.
- C. Atkinson & P. Wilmott, 1995. "Portfolio Management With Transaction Costs: An Asymptotic Analysis Of The Morton And Pliska Model," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(4), pages 357-367.
- Kramkov, D. & Sîrbu, M., 2007. "Asymptotic analysis of utility-based hedging strategies for small number of contingent claims," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 117(11), pages 1606-1620, November.
- E. Benhamou & E. Gobet & M. Miri, 2009. "Smart expansion and fast calibration for jump diffusions," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 13(4), pages 563-589, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1309.7833. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.