Hedging in L\'evy Models and the Time Step Equivalent of Jumps
We consider option hedging in a model where the underlying follows an exponential L\'evy process. We derive approximations to the variance-optimal and to some suboptimal strategies as well as to their mean squared hedging errors. The results are obtained by considering the L\'evy model as a perturbation of the Black-Scholes model. The approximations depend on the first four moments of logarithmic stock returns in the L\'evy model and option price sensitivities (greeks) in the limiting Black-Scholes model. We illustrate numerically that our formulas work well for a variety of L\'evy models suggested in the literature. From a theoretical point of view, it turns out that jumps have a similar effect on hedging errors as discrete-time hedging in the Black-Scholes model.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- C. Atkinson & P. Wilmott, 1995. "Portfolio Management With Transaction Costs: An Asymptotic Analysis Of The Morton And Pliska Model," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(4), pages 357-367.
- E. Benhamou & E. Gobet & M. Miri, 2009. "Smart expansion and fast calibration for jump diffusions," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 13(4), pages 563-589, September.
- Toft, Klaus Bjerre, 1996. "On the Mean-Variance Tradeoff in Option Replication with Transactions Costs," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 31(02), pages 233-263, June.
- Mats Brod\'en & Peter Tankov, 2010. "Tracking errors from discrete hedging in exponential L\'evy models," Papers 1003.0709, arXiv.org.
- Masaaki Fukasawa, 2011. "Asymptotic analysis for stochastic volatility: martingale expansion," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 15(4), pages 635-654, December.
- E. Temam, 2003. "Analysis of Error with Malliavin Calculus: Application to Hedging," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(1), pages 201-214.
- Eric Benhamou & Emmanuel Gobet & Mohammed Miri, 2010. "Expansion formulas for European options in a local volatility model," Post-Print hal-00325939, HAL.
- Fabio Antonelli & Sergio Scarlatti, 2009. "Pricing options under stochastic volatility: a power series approach," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 269-303, April.
- Tankov, Peter & Voltchkova, Ekaterina, 2009. "Asymptotic analysis of hedging errors in models with jumps," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 119(6), pages 2004-2027, June.
- Karel Janeček & Steven Shreve, 2004. "Asymptotic analysis for optimal investment and consumption with transaction costs," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 181-206, May.
- Friedrich Hubalek & Jan Kallsen & Leszek Krawczyk, 2006. "Variance-optimal hedging for processes with stationary independent increments," Papers math/0607112, arXiv.org.
- Merton, Robert C., 1976.
"Option pricing when underlying stock returns are discontinuous,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 3(1-2), pages 125-144.
- Merton, Robert C., 1975. "Option pricing when underlying stock returns are discontinuous," Working papers 787-75., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Emmanuel Temam & Emmanuel Gobet, 2001. "Discrete time hedging errors for options with irregular payoffs," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 357-367.
- Michael Mania & Martin Schweizer, 2005. "Dynamic exponential utility indifference valuation," Papers math/0508489, arXiv.org.
- Ralf Korn, 1998. "Portfolio optimisation with strictly positive transaction costs and impulse control," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 2(2), pages 85-114.
- Schweizer, Martin, 1991. "Option hedging for semimartingales," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 339-363, April.
- Halil Mete Soner & Guy Barles, 1998. "Option pricing with transaction costs and a nonlinear Black-Scholes equation," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 2(4), pages 369-397.
- Madan, Dilip B & Seneta, Eugene, 1990. "The Variance Gamma (V.G.) Model for Share Market Returns," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63(4), pages 511-524, October.
- Kramkov, D. & Sîrbu, M., 2007. "Asymptotic analysis of utility-based hedging strategies for small number of contingent claims," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 117(11), pages 1606-1620, November.
- A. E. Whalley & P. Wilmott, 1997. "An Asymptotic Analysis of an Optimal Hedging Model for Option Pricing with Transaction Costs," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(3), pages 307-324.
- Bertsimas, Dimitris & Kogan, Leonid & Lo, Andrew W., 2000. "When is time continuous?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 173-204, February. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1309.7833. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.