Modelling systemic price cojumps with Hawkes factor models
Instabilities in the price dynamics of a large number of financial assets are a clear sign of systemic events. By investigating a set of 20 high cap stocks traded at the Italian Stock Exchange, we find that there is a large number of high frequency cojumps. We show that the dynamics of these jumps is described neither by a multivariate Poisson nor by a multivariate Hawkes model. We introduce a Hawkes one factor model which is able to capture simultaneously the time clustering of jumps and the high synchronization of jumps across assets.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tim Bollerslev & Viktor Todorov, 2009.
"Tails, Fears and Risk Premia,"
CREATES Research Papers
2009-26, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Bjørn Eraker, 2004. "Do Stock Prices and Volatility Jump? Reconciling Evidence from Spot and Option Prices," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(3), pages 1367-1404, 06.
- Frédéric Abergel & Anirban Chakraborti & B.K. Chakrabarti & M. Mitra, 2011. "Econophysics of order-driven markets," Post-Print hal-00872396, HAL.
- Brownlees, C.T. & Gallo, G.M., 2006.
"Financial econometric analysis at ultra-high frequency: Data handling concerns,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 2232-2245, December.
- Christian T. Brownlees & Giampiero Gallo, 2006. "Financial Econometric Analysis at Ultra–High Frequency: Data Handling Concerns," Econometrics Working Papers Archive wp2006_03, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Statistica, Informatica, Applicazioni "G. Parenti".
- Armand Joulin & Augustin Lefevre & Daniel Grunberg & Jean-Philippe Bouchaud, 2008. "Stock price jumps: news and volume play a minor role," Papers 0803.1769, arXiv.org.
- Clive Bowsher, 2002.
"Modelling Security Market Events in Continuous Time: Intensity based, Multivariate Point Process Models,"
2002-W22, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Bowsher, Clive G., 2007. "Modelling security market events in continuous time: Intensity based, multivariate point process models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 876-912, December.
- Clive G. Bowsher, 2005. "Modelling Security Market Events in Continuous Time: Intensity Based, Multivariate Point Process Models," Economics Papers 2005-W26, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Clive G. Bowsher, 2003. "Modelling Security Market Events in Continuous Time: Intensity Based, Multivariate Point Process Models," Economics Papers 2003-W03, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Fulvio Corsi & Davide Pirino & Roberto Renò, 2010.
"Threshold bipower variation and the impact of jumps on volatility forecasting,"
- Corsi, Fulvio & Pirino, Davide & Renò, Roberto, 2010. "Threshold bipower variation and the impact of jumps on volatility forecasting," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 159(2), pages 276-288, December.
- Fulvio Corsi & Davide Pirino & Roberto Reno', 2010. "Threshold Bipower Variation and the Impact of Jumps on Volatility Forecasting," LEM Papers Series 2010/11, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- John M. Maheu & Thomas H. McCurdy, 2004.
"News Arrival, Jump Dynamics, and Volatility Components for Individual Stock Returns,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 59(2), pages 755-793, 04.
- John M. Maheu & Thomas H. McCurdy, 2003. "News Arrival, Jump Dynamics and Volatility Components for Individual Stock Returns," CIRANO Working Papers 2003s-38, CIRANO.
- Sanjiv Ranjan Das & Raman Uppal, 2004.
"Systemic Risk and International Portfolio Choice,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 59(6), pages 2809-2834, December.
- Mardi Dungey & Lyudmyla Hvozdyk, 2010.
"Cojumping: Evidence from the US Treasury Bond and Futures Markets,"
NCER Working Paper Series
56, National Centre for Econometric Research, revised 20 Jul 2010.
- Dungey, Mardi & Hvozdyk, Lyudmyla, 2012. "Cojumping: Evidence from the US Treasury bond and futures markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 1563-1575.
- LAHAYE, JÃ©rÃ´me & LAURENT, SÃ©bastien & NEELY, Christopher J., .
"Jumps, cojumps and macro announcements,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
2413, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Dungey, Mardi & McKenzie, Michael & Smith, L. Vanessa, 2009.
"Empirical evidence on jumps in the term structure of the US Treasury Market,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 430-445, June.
- Mardi Dungey & Michael McKenzie & Vanessa Smith, 2007. "Empirical Evidence On Jumps In The Term Structure Of The Us Treasury Market," CAMA Working Papers 2007-25, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Fulvio Corsi & Davide Pirino & Roberto Renò, 2010. "Threshold bipower variation and the impact of jumps on volatility forecasting," Post-Print peer-00741630, HAL.
- E. Bacry & S. Delattre & M. Hoffmann & J. F. Muzy, 2013.
"Modelling microstructure noise with mutually exciting point processes,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 65-77, January.
- E. Bacry & S. Delattre & M. Hoffmann & J. F. Muzy, 2011. "Modeling microstructure noise with mutually exciting point processes," Papers 1101.3422, arXiv.org.
- Ioane Muni Toke & Fabrizio Pomponio, 2012. "Modelling Trades-Through in a Limit Order Book Using Hawkes Processes," Post-Print hal-00745554, HAL.
- Toke, Ioane Muni & Pomponio, Fabrizio, 2012. "Modelling trades-through in a limit order book using hawkes processes," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 6, pages 1-23.
- Yacine Aït-Sahalia & Julio Cacho-Diaz & Roger J.A. Laeven, 2010. "Modeling Financial Contagion Using Mutually Exciting Jump Processes," NBER Working Papers 15850, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jiang, George J. & Oomen, Roel C.A., 2008. "Testing for jumps when asset prices are observed with noise-a "swap variance" approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 144(2), pages 352-370, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1301.6141. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.