Optimal portfolios in commodity futures markets
We consider portfolio optimization in futures markets. We model the entire futures price curve at once as a solution of a stochastic partial differential equation. The agents objective is to maximize her utility from the final wealth when investing in futures contracts. We study a class of futures price curve models which admit a finite-dimensional realization. Using this, we recast the portfolio optimization problem as a finite-dimensional control problem and study its solvability.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Benth, Fred Espen & Cartea, Álvaro & Kiesel, Rüdiger, 2008.
"Pricing forward contracts in power markets by the certainty equivalence principle: Explaining the sign of the market risk premium,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 32(10), pages 2006-2021, October.
- Fred Espen Benth & Alvaro Cartea & Ruediger Kiesel, 2006. "Pricing Forward Contracts in Power Markets by the Certainty Equivalence Principle: Explaining the Sign of the Market Risk Premium," Birkbeck Working Papers in Economics and Finance 0611, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics.
- Björk, Tomas & Landen, Camilla, 2000. "On the construction of finite dimensional realizations for nonlinear forward rate models," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 420, Stockholm School of Economics.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/6041 is not listed on IDEAS
- Tomas Björk & Lars Svensson, 2001. "On the Existence of Finite-Dimensional Realizations for Nonlinear Forward Rate Models," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(2), pages 205-243.
- Björk, Tomas & Svensson, Lars, 1999. "On the Existence of Finite Dimensional Realizations for Nonlinear Forward Rate Models," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 338, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Robert A. Jarrow, 2009. "The Term Structure of Interest Rates," Annual Review of Financial Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 1(1), pages 69-96, November.
- Ivar Ekeland & Erik Taflin, 2003. "A theory of bond portfolios," Papers math/0301278, arXiv.org, revised May 2005.
- Dennis Frestad & Fred Espen Benth & Steen Koekebakker, 2010. "Modeling Term Structure Dynamics in the Nordic Electricity Swap Market," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 53-86.
- Gibson, Rajna & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1990. " Stochastic Convenience Yield and the Pricing of Oil Contingent Claims," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(3), pages 959-76, July.
- Nathanael Ringer & Michael Tehranchi, 2006. "Optimal portfolio choice in the bond market," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 10(4), pages 553-573, December.
- Benth, Fred Espen & Koekebakker, Steen, 2008. "Stochastic modeling of financial electricity contracts," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 1116-1157, May.
- Tomas BjÃrk & Andrea Gombani, 1999. "Minimal realizations of interest rate models," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 3(4), pages 413-432.
- Cox, John C. & Ingersoll, Jonathan Jr. & Ross, Stephen A., 1981. "The relation between forward prices and futures prices," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 321-346, December.
- Tomas Björk & Magnus Blix & Camilla Landén, 2006. "On Finite Dimensional Realizations For The Term Structure Of Futures Prices," International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance (IJTAF), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 9(03), pages 281-314.
- Hans Buehler, 2006. "Consistent Variance Curve Models," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 10(2), pages 178-203, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1204.2667. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.