Stochastic Switching Games and Duopolistic Competition in Emissions Markets
We study optimal behavior of energy producers under a CO_2 emission abatement program. We focus on a two-player discrete-time model where each producer is sequentially optimizing her emission and production schedules. The game-theoretic aspect is captured through a reduced-form price-impact model for the CO_2 allowance price. Such duopolistic competition results in a new type of a non-zero-sum stochastic switching game on finite horizon. Existence of game Nash equilibria is established through generalization to randomized switching strategies. No uniqueness is possible and we therefore consider a variety of correlated equilibrium mechanisms. We prove existence of correlated equilibrium points in switching games and give a recursive description of equilibrium game values. A simulation-based algorithm to solve for the game values is constructed and a numerical example is presented.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Solan, Eilon & Vieille, Nicolas, 2002.
"Correlated Equilibrium in Stochastic Games,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 362-399, February.
- Eilon Solan & Nicolas Vieille, 1998. "Correlated Equilibrium in Stochastic Games," Discussion Papers 1226, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Eilon Solan & Nicolas Vieille, 2002. "Correlated Equilibrium in Stochastic Games," Post-Print hal-00465020, HAL.
- Roger B. Myerson, 1984.
"Multistage Games with Communication,"
590, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Ramsey, David M. & Szajowski, Krzysztof, 2008. "Selection of a correlated equilibrium in Markov stopping games," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 184(1), pages 185-206, January.
- Nicolas Vieille & Eilon Solan, 2001.
- Rida Laraki & Eilon Solan & Nicolas Vieille, 2003.
"Continuous-time Games of Timing,"
1363, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Nicolas, VIEILLE & Rida, LARAKI & Eilon, SOLAN, 2003. "Continuous-Time Games of Timing," Les Cahiers de Recherche 773, HEC Paris.
- Rida Laraki & Eilon Solan & Nicolas Vieille, 2003. "Continuous-Time Games of Timing," Working Papers hal-00591682, HAL.
- Nicolas Vieille & Eilon Solan & Rida Laraki, 2005. "Continuous-time games of timing," Post-Print hal-00464672, HAL.
- Eran Shmaya & Eilon Solan, 2002. "Two Player Non Zero-Sum Stopping Games in Discrete Time," Discussion Papers 1347, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Michael Ludkovski, 2008. "Financial Hedging Of Operational Flexibility," International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance (IJTAF), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 11(08), pages 799-839.
- R. Aumann, 2010.
"Correlated Equilibrium as an expression of Bayesian Rationality,"
513, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Aumann, Robert J, 1987. "Correlated Equilibrium as an Expression of Bayesian Rationality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 1-18, January.
- Robert J. Aumann, 2010. "Correlated Equilibrium as an expression of Bayesian Rationality," Levine's Working Paper Archive 661465000000000377, David K. Levine.
- Andrzej Nowak, 2003. "On a new class of nonzero-sum discounted stochastic games having stationary Nash equilibrium points," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer;Game Theory Society, vol. 32(1), pages 121-132, December.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/6019 is not listed on IDEAS
- Rene Carmona & Michael Ludkovski, 2008. "Pricing Asset Scheduling Flexibility using Optimal Switching," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(5-6), pages 405-447.
- Dinah Rosenberg & Nicolas Vieille & Eilon Solan, 2001.
"Stopping games with randomized strategies,"
- Brennan, Michael J & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1985. "Evaluating Natural Resource Investments," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 58(2), pages 135-157, April.
- Carriere, Jacques F., 1996. "Valuation of the early-exercise price for options using simulations and nonparametric regression," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 19-30, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1001.3455. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.