Mathematical analysis of Soros's theory of reflexivity
The mathematical model proposed by George Soros for his theory of reflexivity is analyzed under the framework of discrete dynamical systems. We show the importance of the notion of fixed points for explaining the behavior of a reflexive system governed by its cognitive and manipulative functions. The interrelationship between these two functions induces fixed points with different characteristics, which in turn generate various system behaviors including the so-called "boom then bust" phenomenon in Soros's theory.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frankel, Jeffrey A, 1979. "On the Mark: A Theory of Floating Exchange Rates Based on Real Interest Differentials," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(4), pages 610-22, September.
- Beed, Clive & Kane, Owen, 1991. "What Is the Critique of the Mathematization of Economics?," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(4), pages 581-612.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-91, March.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Levine's Working Paper Archive 7656, David K. Levine.
- Debreu, Gerard, 1991. "The Mathematization of Economic Theory," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(1), pages 1-7, March.
- K. Vela Velupillai, 2005.
"The unreasonable ineffectiveness of mathematics in economics,"
Cambridge Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 29(6), pages 849-872, November.
- K. Vela Velupillai, 2004. "The Unreasonable Ineffectiveness of Mathematics in Economics," Working Papers 0080, National University of Ireland Galway, Department of Economics, revised 2004.
- K. Vela Velupillai, 2004. "The unreasonable ineffectiveness of mathematics in economics," Department of Economics Working Papers 0406, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1976. "Expectations and Exchange Rate Dynamics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(6), pages 1161-76, December.
- Cross, Rod & Strachan, Douglas, 1997. "On George Soros and Economic Analysis," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(4), pages 561-74.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:0901.4447. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.