A discrete choice approach for analysing the airport choice for freighter operations in Europe
Airport competition is a topic which recently gained interest in transport research. However, many studies about airport competition focus on passengers or passenger operations. Research about airport competition for air cargo is still scarce. This paper contributes to the understanding of this topic by analyzing the airport choice for freighter operations in Europe. It first reveals the choice process that airports follow, as well as the different factors that play a role therein. Furthermore, using a discrete choice experiment, we analyzed six choice factors more in-depth. We collected completed questionnaires from 26 airlines and used the discrete choice data as input for a multinomial logit model. The results show that the presence of passenger operations at an airport is not a significant factor in explaining airlines’ choices, which, from an airline’s point of view, supports the idea of all-cargo airports and therefore the relocation of cargo operations to non-congested airports. The presence of forwarders, on the other hand, is the most important factor. This shows that, when trying to influence airlines in their airport choice, airports and policy makers also have to consider the preferences of forwarders.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://www.uantwerp.be/en/faculties/applied-economic-sciences/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Starkie, David, 2002. "Airport regulation and competition," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 63-72.
- Ishii, Jun & Jun, Sunyoung & Van Dender, Kurt, 2009.
"Air travel choices in multi-airport markets,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 216-227, March.
- Kenneth Button & Junyang Yuan, 2013. "Airfreight Transport and Economic Development: An Examination of Causality," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 50(2), pages 329-340, February.
- Gardiner, John & Ison, Stephen & Humphreys, Ian, 2005. "Factors influencing cargo airlinesâ€™ choice of airport: An international survey," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(6), pages 393-399.
- Green, Paul E, 1974. " On the Design of Choice Experiments Involving Multifactor Alternatives," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 1(2), pages 61-68, Se.
- Rich, J. & Holmblad, P.M. & Hansen, C.O., 2009. "A weighted logit freight mode-choice model," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(6), pages 1006-1019, November.
- Jacco Hakfoort & Tom Poot & Piet Rietveld, 2001. "The Regional Economic Impact of an Airport: The Case of Amsterdam Schiphol Airport," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(7), pages 595-604.
- Kessels, Roselinde & Goos, Peter & Vandebroek, Martina, 2008. "Optimal designs for conjoint experiments," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(5), pages 2369-2387, January.
- KESSELS, Roselinde & JONES, Bradley & GOOS, Peter, 2013. "An argument for preferring Firth bias-adjusted estimates in aggregate and individual-level discrete choice modeling," Working Papers 2013013, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- KESSELS, Roselinde & BRADLEY, Jones & GOOS, Peter, 2012. "A comparison of partial profile designs for discrete choice experiments with an application in software development," Working Papers 2012004, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Zhang, Anming, 2003. "Analysis of an international air-cargo hub: the case of Hong Kong," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 123-138.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ant:wpaper:2013028. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joeri Nys)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.