Monetary And Exchange Rate Policy In Brazil After Inflation Targeting
After strong currency crisis, in January 1999, Brazil implemented flexible exchange rate regime combined with inflation targeting. Some economists believe that emerging markets do not allow the exchange rate to float as much they had announced and therefore they suffer from the fear of floating. However, in this article there is evidence to believe that central banks in the emerging markets care about inflation ratter than exchange rate. The remarkable result found in this article is that the aggressiveness of the interest rate reaction to inflation explains far more the current monetary and exchange rate policy in Brazil than the idea of the fear of floating.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Secretaria da ANPEC Rua Prof Marcos Valdemar de Freitas Reis s/n Campus do Gragoatá Bloco F Niterói, RJ 24210-201 Brazil|
Phone: 55 21 3674 7952
Web page: http://www.anpec.org.br
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Secretaria da ANPEC Rua Prof Marcos Valdemar de Freitas Reis s/n Campus do Gragoatá Bloco F Niterói, RJ 24210-201 Brazil|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barry Eichengreen, 2002.
"Can Emerging Markets Float? Should They Inflation Target?,"
Working Papers Series
36, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Barry Eichengreen, 2006. "Can Emerging Markets Float? Should They Inflation Target?," Chapters, in: Monetary Integration and Dollarization, chapter 8 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Laurence Ball & Niamh Sheridan, 2004.
"Does inflation targeting matter?,"
DNB Staff Reports (discontinued)
118, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Clarida, Richard & Gali, Jordi & Gertler, Mark, 1998.
"Monetary policy rules in practice Some international evidence,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 42(6), pages 1033-1067, June.
- Clarida, Richard & Galí, Jordi & Gertler, Mark, 1997. "Monetary Policy Rules in Practice: Some International Evidence," CEPR Discussion Papers 1750, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Clarida, Richard & Gali, Jordi & Gertler, Mark, 1997. "Monetary Policy Rules in Practice: Some International Evidence," Working Papers 97-32, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Richard Clarida & Jordi Gali & Mark Gertler, 1997. "Monetary Policy Rules in Practice: Some International Evidence," NBER Working Papers 6254, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Minella, Andre & de Freitas, Paulo Springer & Goldfajn, Ilan & Muinhos, Marcelo Kfoury, 2003.
"Inflation targeting in Brazil: constructing credibility under exchange rate volatility,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 22(7), pages 1015-1040, December.
- André Minella & Paulo Springer de Freitas & Ilan Goldfajn & Marcelo Kfoury Muinhos, 2003. "Inflation Targeting in Brazil: Constructing Credibility Under Exchange Rate Volatility," Anais do XXXI Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 31th Brazilian Economics Meeting] b26, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- MINELLA André & DE FREITAS Paulo Springer & GOLDFAJN Ilan & KFOURY MUINHOS Marcelo, "undated". "Inflation Targeting in Brazil: Constructing Credibility under Exchange Rate Volatility," EcoMod2003 330700103, EcoMod.
- André Minella & Paulo Springer de Freitas & Ilan Goldfajn & Marcelo Kfoury Muinhos, 2003. "Inflation Targeting in Brazil: Constructing Credibility under Exchange Rate Volatility," Working Papers Series 77, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo, 2002.
"Fear of floating,"
14000, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987.
"A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-708, May.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014. "A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986. "A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix," NBER Technical Working Papers 0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eichengreen, Barry, 2004. "Monetary and Exchange Rate Policy in Korea: Assessments and Policy Issues," CEPR Discussion Papers 4676, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:anp:en2005:032. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rodrigo Zadra Armond)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.