Inflation Targeting in Brazil
The purpose of this paper is to examine inflation targeting (IT) in emerging countries by concentrating essentially on the case of Brazil. The IT monetary policy regime has been adopted by a significant number of countries. While the focus of this paper is on Brazil, which began inflation targeting in 1999, we also examine the experience of other countries, both for comparative purposes and for evidence of the extent of this "new" economic policy's success. In addition, we compare the experience of Brazil with that of non-IT countries, and ask the question of whether adopting IT makes a difference in the fight against inflation.
Other versions of this item:
- AndrÃ© de Melo Modenesi & Rui Lyrio Modenesi & JosÃ© Luis Oreiro & Norberto Montani Martins, 2013. "Convention, interest rates and monetary policy: a post-Keynesianâ€“French-conventions-school approach," European Journal of Economics and Economic Policies: Intervention, Edward Elgar Publishing, vol. 10(1), pages 76-92.
- Bartsch, Klaus & Hein, Eckhard & Truger, Achim, 2001.
"Zur Interdependenz von Geld- und Lohnpolitik: Makroökonometrische Ex-post und Ex-ante Simulationen verschiedener Szenarien für die Bundesrepublik Deutschland
[On the interdependence of monetary and," MPRA Paper 18715, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bartsch, Klaus & Hein, Eckhard & Truger, Achim, 2001. "Zur Interdependenz von Geld- und Lohnpolitik: Makroökonometrische Ex-post und Ex-ante Simulationen verschiedener Szenarien für die Bundesrepublik Deutschland," WSI Working Papers 100, The Institute of Economic and Social Research (WSI), Hans-Böckler-Foundation.
- repec:ilo:ilowps:488272 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hein, Eckhard, 2001. "Institutions and macroeconomic performance: Central bank independence, labour market institutions and the perspectives for inflation and employment in the European Monetary Union," WSI Working Papers 95, The Institute of Economic and Social Research (WSI), Hans-Böckler-Foundation.
- Hein, Eckhard, 2001. "Institutions and Macroeconomic Performance: Central Bank Independence, Labour Market Institutions and the Perspectives for Inflation and Employment in the European Monetary Union," MPRA Paper 18880, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Naqvi, Bushra & Rizvi, Syed Kumail Abbas, 2009. "Inflation Targeting Framework: Is the story different for Asian Economies?," MPRA Paper 19546, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Glocker, Christian & Towbin, Pascal, 2015. "Reserve requirements as a macroprudential instrument – Empirical evidence from Brazil," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 44(C), pages 158-176.
- Modenesi, Rui Lyrio & Modenesi, André de Melo & Martins, Norberto Montani & Fontaine, Patrick, 2015. "Restructuring the Economic Policy Framework in Brazil: Genuine or Gattopardo change?," Revue de la Régulation - Capitalisme, institutions, pouvoirs, Association Recherche et Régulation, vol. 17.
- Patrick Fontaine Reis De Araujo & André De Melo Modenesi & Norberto Montani Martins & Ruy Lyrio Modenesi, 2016. "Restructuring The Economic Policy Framework In Brazil: Genuine Or Gattopardo Change?," Anais do XLII Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 42ndd Brazilian Economics Meeting] 014, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Hein, Eckhard, 1999. "Zentralbank-Politik und makroökonomische Ergebnisse: eine sozio-institutionelle Interpretation
[Central Bank Policies and Macroeconomic Results: A Socio-institutional Interpretation]," MPRA Paper 18881, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Magalhães Prates, Daniela. & Nunes Ferreira, Adriana. & Gorayeb, Daniela., 2015. "The Brazilian credit market : recent developments and impact on inequality," ILO Working Papers 994882723402676, International Labour Organization.
- Balliester Reis, Thereza, 2016. "Why are policy real interest rates so high in Brazil? An analysis of the determinants of the Central Bank of Brazil's real interest rate," IPE Working Papers 80/2016, Berlin School of Economics and Law, Institute for International Political Economy (IPE).
- Ivan Mendieta Muñoz, 2013. "El modelo de objetivos de inflación y el efecto pass-through en América Latina," Revista de Economía Crítica, Asociación de Economía Crítica, vol. 15, pages 5-30.
- Helder de Mendonca, 2007. "Towards credibility from inflation targeting: the Brazilian experience," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(20), pages 2599-2615.
- Christian Glocker & Pascal Towbin, 2012. "The Macroeconomic Effects Of Reserve Requirements," EcoMod2012 3850, EcoMod.
- Christian Glocker & Pascal Towbin, 2012. "The Macroeconomic Effects of Reserve Requirements," WIFO Working Papers 420, WIFO.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lev:wrkpap:wp_544. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie-Celeste Edwards)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.
Follow series, journals, authors & more
New papers by email
Subscribe to new additions to RePEc
Public profiles for Economics researchers
Various rankings of research in Economics & related fields
Who was a student of whom, using RePEc
Curated articles & papers on various economics topics
Upload your paper to be listed on RePEc and IDEAS
Blog aggregator for economics research
Cases of plagiarism in Economics
Job Market Papers
RePEc working paper series dedicated to the job market
Pretend you are at the helm of an economics department
Services from the StL Fed
Data, research, apps & more from the St. Louis Fed