Forecasting US bond yields at weekly frequency
Forecasting models for bond yields often use macro data to improve their properties. Unfortunately, macro data are not available at frequencies higher than monthly. In order to mitigate this problem, we propose a nonlinear VEC model with conditional heteroskedasticity (NECH) and find that such model has superior in-sample performance than models which fail to encompass nonlinearities and/or GARCH-type effects. Out-of-sample forecasts by our model are marginally superior to competing models; however, the data points we used for evaluating forecasts refer to a period of relative tranquillity on the financial markets, whereas we argue that our model should display superior performance under "unusual" circumstances.
|Date of creation:||May 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Piazzale Martelli, 8, 60121 Ancona|
Phone: +39 071 220 7100
Fax: +39 071 220 7102
Web page: http://www.dises.univpm.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bollerslev, Tim & Engle, Robert F & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M, 1988. "A Capital Asset Pricing Model with Time-Varying Covariances," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(1), pages 116-131, February.
- Hansen, Bruce E. & Seo, Byeongseon, 2002.
"Testing for two-regime threshold cointegration in vector error-correction models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 293-318, October.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS programs to replicate Hansen/Seo paper on threshold cointegration," Statistical Software Components RTZ00092, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Engle, Robert F & Ng, Victor K, 1993. " Measuring and Testing the Impact of News on Volatility," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1749-1778, December.
- Robert F. Engle & Victor K. Ng, 1991. "Measuring and Testing the Impact of News on Volatility," NBER Working Papers 3681, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roy van der Weide, 2002. "GO-GARCH: a multivariate generalized orthogonal GARCH model," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(5), pages 549-564.
- Ang, Andrew & Piazzesi, Monika, 2003. "A no-arbitrage vector autoregression of term structure dynamics with macroeconomic and latent variables," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(4), pages 745-787, May.
- Andrew Ang & Monika Piazzesi, 2001. "A No-Arbitrage Vector Autoregression of Term Structure Dynamics with Macroeconomic and Latent Variables," NBER Working Papers 8363, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engle, Robert F. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 122-150, February.
- Lucchetti, Riccardo, 2002. "Analytical Score for Multivariate GARCH Models," Computational Economics, Springer;Society for Computational Economics, vol. 19(2), pages 133-143, April.
- Riccardo LUCCHETTI, 1999. "Analytic Score for Multivariate GARCH Models," Working Papers 119, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Tsay, Wen-Jen & Chung, Ching-Fan, 2000. "The spurious regression of fractionally integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 96(1), pages 155-182, May.
- Shiqing Ling & W. K. Li & Michael McAleer, 2003. "Estimation and Testing for Unit Root Processes with GARCH (1, 1) Errors: Theory and Monte Carlo Evidence," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(2), pages 179-202.
- Shiqing Ling & W. K. Li & Michael McAleer, 2001. "Estimation and Testing for Unit Root Processes with GARCH(1,1) Errors: Theory and Monte Carlo Evidence," ISER Discussion Paper 0544, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Shiqing Ling & W. K. Li & Michael McAleer, 2003. "Estimation and Testing for Unit Root Processes with GARCH (1, 1) Errors: Theory and Monte Carlo Evidence," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-207, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- MacKinnon, James G, 1996. "Numerical Distribution Functions for Unit Root and Cointegration Tests," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(6), pages 601-618, Nov.-Dec..
- James G. MacKinnon, 1995. "Numerical Distribution Functions for Unit Root and Cointegration Tests," Working Papers 918, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501.
- Riccardo Lucchetti & Eduardo Rossi, 2005. "Artificial regression testing in the GARCH-in-mean model," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 8(3), pages 306-322, December.
- Karanasos, M. & Sekioua, S.H. & Zeng, N., 2006. "On the order of integration of monthly US ex-ante and ex-post real interest rates: New evidence from over a century of data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 90(2), pages 163-169, February.
- Menelaos Karananos & S.H Sekioua & N Zeng, 2005. "On the order of integration of monthly US ex-ante and ex-post real interest rates new evidence from over a century of data," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2005 21, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Nunzio Cappuccio & Diego Lubian, 2001. "Estimation And Inference On Long-Run Equilibria: A Simulation Study," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(1), pages 61-84. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:anc:wpaper:261. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maurizio Mariotti)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.