Analysing EU Accession Effects in Romania by a Multiregional I-O Model
The objective of this article is to assess labour income and employment effects in Romania coming from development policies defined in the proposed 2007-09 EU accession financial package. The methodology used is based on a multiregional I-O model, which allows capturing specificities and interrelationships among the 8 Romanian development regions and to know impact distribution on the territory. The I-O model is constructed from a multiregional I-O table derived by a three-stage estimation method. Impact is mapped through a Geographic Information System. Main results show that EU accession will lead to large positive effects in Romania, which vary according to the region considered. In this connection, the South and the North-East regions are those on which benefits tend to concentrate. Finally, policy would seem to reduce regional and sectoral income disparities, leading to more balanced development. On the contrary, in terms of employment, policy would increase divergences, albeit, from an analysis of single region economy, a general tendency to a reduction of sector disparities is noticed.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Piazzale Martelli, 8, 60121 Ancona|
Phone: +39 071 220 7100
Fax: +39 071 220 7102
Web page: http://www.dises.univpm.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- A. T. Flegg & C. D. Webber, 1997. "On the Appropriate Use of Location Quotients in Generating Regional Input-Output Tables: Reply," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(8), pages 795-805.
- A. T. Flegg & C. D. Webber, 2000. "Regional Size, Regional Specialization and the FLQ Formula," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(6), pages 563-569.
- Doyle, Chris J & Mitchell, Morag & Topp, Kairsty, 1997. "Effectiveness of Farm Policies on Social and Economic Development in Rural Areas," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 24(3-4), pages 530-46.
- Polenske, Karen R, 1970. "An Empirical Test of Interregional Input-Output Models: Estimation of 1963 Japanese Production," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(2), pages 76-82, May.
- Randall Jackson & Alan Murray, 2004. "Alternative Input-Output Matrix Updating Formulations," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(2), pages 135-148.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:anc:wpaper:226. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maurizio Mariotti)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.