Group Violence, Ethnic Diversity and Citizen Participation - Evidence from Indonesia
We study the impact of violent conflict on social capital, as measured by citizen participation in community groups, defined by four activity types: governance, social service, infrastructure development and risk-sharing. Combining household panel data from Indonesia with conflict event information, we find an overall decrease in citizen contributions in districts affected by group violence in the early post-Suharto transition period. However, participation in communities with a high degree of ethnic polarization is less affected, and is even stimulated for local governance and risk-sharing activities. Moreover, individual engagement appears to depend on the involvement of other members from the same ethnic group, which points toward building of intra-ethnic social networks in the presence of violence. Finally, our results show the danger of generalization when dealing with citizen participation in community activities. We find a large variety of responses depending on the activity and its economic and social functions. We also find large observed and unobserved individual heterogeneities of the effect of violence on participation. Once an appropriate nomenclature of activities is used and controls for heterogeneity are applied, we find that the ethnic and social configuration of society is central in understanding citizen participation.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2013|
|Date of revision:||Feb 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.amse-aixmarseille.fr/en|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dominic Rohner & Mathias Thoenig & Fabrizio Zilibotti, 2013.
"Seeds of distrust: conflict in Uganda,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 18(3), pages 217-252, September.
- Rohner, Dominic & Thoenig, Mathias & Zilibotti, Fabrizio, 2012. "Seeds of Distrust: Conflict in Uganda," CEPR Discussion Papers 8741, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dominic Rohner & Mathias Thoenig & Fabrizio Zilibotti, 2012. "Seeds of Distrust: Conflict in Uganda," OxCarre Working Papers 078, Oxford Centre for the Analysis of Resource Rich Economies, University of Oxford.
- Dominic Rohner & Mathias Thoenig & Fabrizio Zilibotti, 2012. "Seeds of Distrust: Conflict in Uganda," HiCN Working Papers 112, Households in Conflict Network.
- Dominic Rohner & Mathias Thoenig & Fabrizio Zilibotti, 2011. "Seeds of distrust: Conflict in Uganda," ECON - Working Papers 054, Department of Economics - University of Zurich.
- La Ferrara, Eliana, 2002.
"Inequality and group participation: theory and evidence from rural Tanzania,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 235-273, August.
- La Ferrara, Eliana, 2000. "Inequality And Group Participation: Theory And Evidence From Rural Tanzania," CEPR Discussion Papers 2433, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Eliana La Ferrara, . "Inequality and Group Participation: Theory and Evidence from Rural Tanzania," Working Papers 161, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Eliana La Ferrara, 2000. "Inequality and Group Participation: Theory and Evidence from Rural Tanzania," Development Working Papers 138, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Dasgupta, Indraneel & Kanbur, Ravi, 2007.
"Community and Class Antagonism,"
127009, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Bellows, John & Miguel, Edward, 2009. "War and local collective action in Sierra Leone," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(11-12), pages 1144-1157, December.
- Christopher Blattman, 2008.
"From Violence to Voting: War and political participation in Uganda,"
HiCN Working Papers
42, Households in Conflict Network.
- Christopher Blattman, 2008. "From Violence to Voting: War and political participation in Uganda," Working Papers 138, Center for Global Development.
- Arcand, Jean-Louis & Fafchamps, Marcel, 2012. "Matching in community-based organizations," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 203-219.
- Abhijit Banerjee & Lakshmi Iyer & Rohini Somanathan, 2007.
"Public Action for Public Goods,"
NBER Working Papers
12911, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kanbur, Ravi & Rajaram, Prem Kumar & Varshney, Ashutosh, 2010.
"Ethnic Diversity and Ethnic Strife: An Interdisciplinary Perspective,"
57039, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Kanbur, Ravi & Rajaram, Prem Kumar & Varshney, Ashutosh, 2011. "Ethnic Diversity and Ethnic Strife. An Interdisciplinary Perspective," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 147-158, February.
- S. Brock Blomberg & Gregory D. Hess, 2006.
"How Much Does Violence Tax Trade?,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 88(4), pages 599-612, November.
- Marijke Verpoorten, 2007.
"Household Coping in war- and peacetime: cattle sales in Rwanda, 1991-2001,"
LICOS Discussion Papers
18907, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Verpoorten, Marijke, 2009. "Household coping in war- and peacetime: Cattle sales in Rwanda, 1991-2001," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 67-86, January.
- Marijke Verpoorten, 2007. "Household coping in war- and peacetime: cattle sales in Rwanda, 1991-2001," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces0727, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Maarten J. Voors & Eleonora E. M. Nillesen & Philip Verwimp & Erwin H. Bulte & Robert Lensink & Daan P. Van Soest, 2012. "Violent Conflict and Behavior: A Field Experiment in Burundi," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 102(2), pages 941-64, April.
- Martin Ravallion & Michael Lokshin, 2007. "Lasting Impacts of Indonesiaâ€™s Financial Crisis," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 56, pages 27-56.
- Daniel L. Chen, 2010. "Club Goods and Group Identity: Evidence from Islamic Resurgence during the Indonesian Financial Crisis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 118(2), pages 300-354, 04.
- Gary Chamberlain, 2010. "Binary Response Models for Panel Data: Identification and Information," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 78(1), pages 159-168, 01.
- Edward C. Norton & Hua Wang & Chunrong Ai, 2004. "Computing interaction effects and standard errors in logit and probit models," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 4(2), pages 154-167, June.
- Shanley Pinchotti & Philip Verwimp, 2007. "SOCIAL CAPITAL and the RWANDAN GENOCIDE A Micro-Level Analysis," HiCN Working Papers 30, Households in Conflict Network.
- Moshik Lavie & Christophe Muller, 2011.
"Incentives and Survival in Violent Conflicts,"
Research Working Papers
47, MICROCON - A Micro Level Analysis of Violent Conflict.
- Baland, Jean-Marie & Platteau, Jean-Philippe, 1997. "Wealth Inequality and Efficiency in the Commons: Part I: The Unregulated Case," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 49(4), pages 451-82, October.
- Cameron, Lisa A., 2000. "Poverty and inequality in Java: examining the impact of the changing age, educational and industrial structure," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 149-180, June.
- Manski, Charles F, 1987. "Semiparametric Analysis of Random Effects Linear Models from Binary Panel Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 357-62, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aim:wpaimx:1306. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yves Doazan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.