Bayesian Unconditional Quantile Regression. An Analysis of Recent Expansions in Wage Structure and Earnings Inequality in the U.S. 1992-2009
We develop a reliable Bayesian inference for the RIF-regression model of Firpo, Fortin and Lemieux (Econometrica, 2009) in which we first estimate the log wage distribution by a mixture of normal densities. This approach is pursued so as to provide better estimates in the upper tail of the wage distribution as well as valid confidence intervals for the Oaxaca-Blinder decomposition. We apply our method to a Mincer equation for analysing the recent changes in the U.S. wage structure and in earnings inequality. Our analysis uses data from the CPS Outgoing Rotation Group (ORG) from 1992 to 2009. We find first that the largest part (around 77% on average) of the recent changes in the U.S. wage inequality is explained by the wage structure effect and second that the earnings inequality is rising more at the top end of the wage distribution, even in the most recent years. The decline in the unionisation rate has a small impact on total wage inequality while differences in returns to education and gender discrimination are the dominant factors accounting for these recent changes.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.amse-aixmarseille.fr/en|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- SErgio Firpo & Nicole M. Fortin & Thomas Lemieux, 2006.
"Unconditional Quantile Regressions,"
Textos para discussão
533, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- John DiNardo & Nicole M. Fortin & Thomas Lemieux, 1995.
"Labor Market Institutions and the Distribution of Wages, 1973-1992: A Semiparametric Approach,"
NBER Working Papers
5093, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- DiNardo, John & Fortin, Nicole M & Lemieux, Thomas, 1996. "Labor Market Institutions and the Distribution of Wages, 1973-1992: A Semiparametric Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(5), pages 1001-44, September.
- Dinardo, J. & Fortin, N.M. & Lemieux, T., 1994. "Labor Market Institutions and the Distribution of Wages, 1973-1992: a Semiparametric Approach," Cahiers de recherche 9406, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Nidardo, J. & Fortin, N. & Lemieux, T., 1994. "Labor Market Institutions and the Distribution of Wages, 1973-1992: A Semiparametric Approach," Papers 93-94-15, California Irvine - School of Social Sciences.
- Dinardo, J. & Fortin, N.M. & Lemieux, T., 1994. "Labor Market Institutions and the Distribution of Wages, 1973-1992: A Semiparametric Approach," Cahiers de recherche 9406, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Alan S. Blinder, 1973. "Wage Discrimination: Reduced Form and Structural Estimates," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 8(4), pages 436-455.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1981. "The Economics of Superstars," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(5), pages 845-58, December.
- Kevin M. Murphy & Finis Welch, 1992. "The Structure of Wages," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 107(1), pages 285-326.
- Ben Jann, 2008.
"A Stata implementation of the Blinder-Oaxaca decomposition,"
ETH Zurich Sociology Working Papers
5, ETH Zurich, Chair of Sociology, revised 14 May 2008.
- Ben Jann, 2008. "OAXACA: Stata module to compute the Blinder-Oaxaca decomposition," Statistical Software Components S456936, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 25 Aug 2011.
- José Ferreira Machado & José Mata, 1998.
"Earning Functions in Portugal 1982-1994: Evidence From Quantile Regressions,"
w199802, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- José A. F. Machado & José Mata, 2001. "Earning functions in Portugal 1982-1994: Evidence from quantile regressions," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 115-134.
- Atkinson, A B, 2008. "The Changing Distribution of Earnings in OECD Countries," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199532438.
- Juhn, Chinhui & Murphy, Kevin M & Pierce, Brooks, 1993. "Wage Inequality and the Rise in Returns to Skill," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(3), pages 410-42, June.
- Lawrence F. Katz & Kevin M. Murphy, 1991.
"Changes in Relative Wages, 1963-1987: Supply and Demand Factors,"
NBER Working Papers
3927, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lawrence F. Katz & Kevin M. Murphy, 1992. "Changes in Relative Wages, 1963–1987: Supply and Demand Factors," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 107(1), pages 35-78.
- Katz, L.F. & Murphy, K.M., 1991. "Changes in Relative Wages, 1963-1987: Supply and Demand Factors," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1580, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Bound, John & Johnson, George, 1992. "Changes in the Structure of Wages in the 1980's: An Evaluation of Alternative Explanations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(3), pages 371-92, June.
- Yu, Keming & Moyeed, Rana A., 2001. "Bayesian quantile regression," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 54(4), pages 437-447, October.
- Radchenko, Stanislav I. & Yun, Myeong-Su, 2003. "A Bayesian approach to decomposing wage differentials," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(3), pages 431-436, March.
- Fortin, Nicole & Lemieux, Thomas & Firpo, Sergio, 2011.
"Decomposition Methods in Economics,"
Handbook of Labor Economics,
- Hideo Kozumi & Genya Kobayashi, 2009. "Gibbs Sampling Methods for Bayesian Quantile Regression," Discussion Papers 2009-02, Kobe University, Graduate School of Business Administration.
- David Powell, 2011. "Unconditional Quantile Regression for Exogenous or Endogenous Treatment Variables," Working Papers 824, RAND Corporation.
- Buchinsky, Moshe, 1994. "Changes in the U.S. Wage Structure 1963-1987: Application of Quantile Regression," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(2), pages 405-58, March.
- Melly, Blaise, 2005. "Decomposition of differences in distribution using quantile regression," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 577-590, August.
- Bazen, Stephen, 2011. "Econometric Methods for Labour Economics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199576791.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aim:wpaimx:1203. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yves Doazan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.