Willingness Of Forest Landowners To Use Poultry Litter As Fertilizer
When manure nutrients exceed a county's cropland assimilative capacity, the potential for water quality problems exists. Concerns about water quality have led to the passage of the Water Quality Improvement Act in Maryland which will impact the disposal of poultry litter on cropland. Forest fertilization may be an alternative use for the litter. Forest landowners indicated their willingness to use poultry litter as a forest fertilizer under a variety of incentives. Landowners with more acres, in certain counties, and who were younger were most likely to be willingness. Surprisingly, landowners who work with foresters were not more likely to agree, suggesting that foresters may not know about the potential benefits of poultry litter application in timber growth.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 301-405-1290|
Web page: http://www.arec.umd.edu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gregory, Robin & Slovic, Paul, 1997. "A constructive approach to environmental valuation," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 175-181, June.
- Schnitkey, Gary D. & Miranda, Mario J., 1993. "The Impact Of Pollution Controls On Livestock-Crop Producers," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 18(01), July.
- Hanemann, W Michael, 1984. "Discrete-Continuous Models of Consumer Demand," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 541-61, May.
- Bosch, Darrell J. & Zhu, Minkang & Kornegay, Ervin T., 1997. "Economic Returns From Reducing Poultry Litter Phosphorus With Microbial Phytase," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 29(02), December.
- Komen, M H C & Peerlings, J H M, 1998. "Restricting Intensive Livestock Production: Economic Effects of Mineral Policy in the Netherlands," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 25(1), pages 110-28.
- Rauli Svento, 1993. "Some notes on trichotomous choice discrete valuation," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 3(6), pages 533-543, December.
- Parker, Doug, 2000. "Controlling agricultural nonpoint water pollution: costs of implementing the Maryland Water Quality Improvement Act of 1998," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 24(1), pages 23-31, December.
- Govindasamy, Ramu & Cochran, Mark J., 1995. "The Feasibility Of Poultry Litter Transportation From Environmentally Sensitive Areas To Delta Row Crop Production," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 24(1), April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:umdrwp:28585. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.