Capitalism In Human Scale: Are There "Virtuous Circles" In Economic Growth And Human Development In Achieving A Newly Industrialized Country Status?
The purpose of this paper is two-fold: the first part is to understand the "virtuous circles" of economic growth and human development; the second part is to review the development literature related to this discussion. For this, the evolving development strategies of Sri Lanka and South Korea and the seemingly convergent two schools of thinking are briefly outlined in Section II. Section III surveys the pace of economic and human progress to give a broad background of the debate. Section IV analyzes the economic growth and human development in selected Industrialized Countries, Newly Industrialized Countries (NICs), Emerging NICs, and Aspiring South Asian neighbors of Sri Lanka...In the second part of the paper, a discussion of economic development literature and the experience of NICs are reviewed to learn from their policies and strategies in Section V.
|Date of creation:||1995|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (612) 625-1222
Fax: (612) 625-6245
Web page: http://www.apec.umn.eduEmail:
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bhagwati, Jagdish N., 1988. "Poverty and public policy," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 539-555, May.
- Ruttan, Vernon W, 1988.
"Cultural Endowments and Economic Development: What Can We Learn from Anthropology?,"
Economic Development and Cultural Change,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 36(3), pages S247-71, Supplemen.
- Ruttan, Vernon W., 1986. "Cultural Endowments and Economic Development: What Can We Learn from Anthropology?," Bulletins 7505, University of Minnesota, Economic Development Center.
- Romer, Paul M, 1986.
"Increasing Returns and Long-run Growth,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(5), pages 1002-37, October.
- Streeten, Paul & Burki, Shahid Javed, 1978. "Basic needs: Some issues," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 411-421, March.
- Sen, Amartya, 1981. "Public Action and the Quality of Life in Developing Countries," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 43(4), pages 287-319, November.
- Ruttan, Vernon W., 1995. "Cultural endowments and economic development: Implications for the Chinese economies," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 91-104.
- Pack, Howard & Westphal, Larry E., 1986. "Industrial strategy and technological change : Theory versus reality," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 87-128, June.
- Mendis, Patrick, 1992. "The Political Economy Of Poverty Alleviation In Developing Countries: Is Sri Lanka Really An Exception?," Staff Papers 14052, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Ahluwalia, Montek S. & Carter, Nicholas G. & Chenery, Hollis B., 1979. "Growth and poverty in developing countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 299-341, August.
- Summers, Lawrence H & Thomas, Vinod, 1993. "Recent Lessons of Development," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 8(2), pages 241-54, July.
- Peterson, Willis, 1989. "Rates of Return on Capital: An International Comparison," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(2), pages 203-17.
- Ahluwalia, Montek S., 1976. "Inequality, poverty and development," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 307-342, December.
- Caldwell, John & Gajanayake, Indra & Caldwell, Pat & Peiris, Indrani, 1989. "Sensitization to illness and the risk of death: An explanation for Sri Lanka's approach to good health for all," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 365-379, January.
- Bhalla, Surjit S & Glewwe, Paul, 1986. "Growth and Equity in Developing Countries: A Reinterpretation of the Sri Lankan Experience," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 1(1), pages 35-63, September.
- Rajapatirana, Sarath, 1988. "Foreign trade and economic development: Sri Lanka's experience," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 16(10), pages 1143-1157, October.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Willis Peterson, 1994. "Overinvestment in Public Sector Capital," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 14(1), pages 65-73, Spring/Su.
- Sen, Amartya, 1983. "Development: Which Way Now?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 93(372), pages 742-62, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:umaesp:13901. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.