Policies, Natural Resource Governance and Local Development
The role that agriculture should play in economic development has been recognised for years. In recent years, concern has been expressed over rising agricultural and food prices. The world market prices for major food commodities have risen sharply to historic highs of more than 60 percent above levels just two years ago. Many factors have contributed to the rise in food commodity prices. Some factors reflect trends of slower growth in production and more rapid growth in demand that have contributed to a tightening of world balances of grains and oilseeds over the last decade. Other factors that have added to global food commodity price inflation include the declining value of the US dollar, rising energy prices, increasing agricultural costs of production, growing foreign exchange holdings by major food-importing countries, and policies adopted recently by some exporting and importing countries to mitigate their own food price inflation (Trostle, 2008). Mozambique has a vast extension of land and diversity of natural resources. Resources are inadequately used, the rural income continues to fall, and poverty is increasing. The rural standard of living has been deteriorating year by year. To date, estimations reveal that between 60 and 80 percent of cultivated land in all the provinces is concentrated in areas between 0.2 and 1 ha. For a sample of 192 farmers, using a translog stochastic production frontier like that of Bravo-Ureta and Pinheiro (1993), who estimated a Cobb-Douglas total value product frontier for analysis purposes, the study found that the average economic efficiency (EE), technical efficiency (TE) and allocative efficiency (AE) for the sample were 11.6%, 83.0% and 13.7% respectively. These results suggest that there is considerable room to maximise resource usage and increase agricultural output without additional input and given the existing technology. The adoption of new technologies designed to enhance farm output and income has received particular attention as a means to accelerate economic development. However, output growth is not only determined by technological innovations, but also by the efficiency with which available technologies are used in the absence of inefficiency factors. As Bravo-Ureta and Pinheiro (1993)noted, the evidence presented in this study suggests that there is much room for improving the efficiency of natural resource management in general. The results based on frontier methodology are generally consistent with the notion that local actors play an important role in the management of local resources; consequently, public investments designed to enhance human and social capital at local level can be expected to generate additional skills and output even in the absence of new technologies. The participation of citizens in all stages is crucial.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 339, Bloemfontein, 9300|
Phone: 00 27 51 401-2824
Fax: 00 27 51 401-3473
Web page: http://www.uovs.ac.za/agric-econ
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-Paul Chavas & Thomas L. Cox, 1999.
"A Generalized Distance Function and the Analysis of Production Efficiency,"
Southern Economic Journal,
Southern Economic Association, vol. 66(2), pages 294-318, October.
- Jean-Paul Chavas & Thomas L. Cox, 1999. "A Generalized Distance Function and the Analysis of Production Efficiency," Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Staff Papers 422, Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Department.
- de Meza, David & Gould, J R, 1992. "The Social Efficiency of Private Decisions to Enforce Property Rights," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(3), pages 561-580, June.
- Wuyts, Marc, 2001. "The Agrarian Question in Mozambique's Transition and Reconstruction," WIDER Working Paper Series 014, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Fare,Rolf & Grosskopf,Shawna & Lovell,C. A. Knox, 2008. "Production Frontiers," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521072069.
- Fare,Rolf & Grosskopf,Shawna & Lovell,C. A. Knox, 1993. "Production Frontiers," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521420334.
- Jondrow, James & Knox Lovell, C. A. & Materov, Ivan S. & Schmidt, Peter, 1982. "On the estimation of technical inefficiency in the stochastic frontier production function model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 233-238, August.
- O'Laughlin, B., 2001. "Proletarianisation, agency and changing rural livelihoods : forced labour and resistance in colonial Mozambique," ISS Working Papers - General Series 19099, International Institute of Social Studies of Erasmus University Rotterdam (ISS), The Hague.
- W. Briec, 1997. "A Graph-Type Extension of Farrell Technical Efficiency Measure," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 95-110, March.
- Angela Lusigi & Colin Thirtle, 1997. "Total Factor Productivity And The Effects Of R&D In African Agriculture," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(4), pages 529-538.
- Pender, John L., 1996. "Discount rates and credit markets: Theory and evidence from rural india," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 257-296, August.
- Battese, George E. & Coelli, Tim J., 1988. "Prediction of firm-level technical efficiencies with a generalized frontier production function and panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 387-399, July.
- Gillespie, Jeffrey & Schupp, Alvin & Taylor, Gary, 1997. "Factors Affecting Production Efficiency in a New Alternative Enterprise: The Case of the Ratite Industry," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 29(02), pages 409-418, December.
- Gillespie, Jeffrey M. & Schupp, Alvin R. & Taylor, Gary, 1997. "Factors Affecting Production Efficiency In A New Alternative Enterprise: The Case Of The Ratite Industry," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 29(02), December.
- Sjaastad, Espen & Bromley, Daniel W., 1997. "Indigenous land rights in sub-Saharan Africa: Appropriation, security and investment demand," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 549-562, January.
- Espen Sjaastad & DANIEL W. BROMLEY, 1996. "Indigenous Land Rights in Sub-Saharan Africa: Appropriation, Security and Investment Demand," Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Staff Papers 391, Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Department.
- Espen SJAASTAD & Daniel W. BROMLEY, 1996. "Indigenous Land Rights In Sub-Saharan Africa: Appropriation, Security And Investment Demand," Staff Papers 391, University of Wisconsin Madison, AAE.
- K. Kalirajan, 1981. "An Econometric Analysis of Yield Variability in Paddy Production," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 29(3), pages 283-294, November.
- Binswanger, Hans P. & Deininger, Klaus & Feder, Gershon, 1995. "Power, distortions, revolt and reform in agricultural land relations," Handbook of Development Economics,in: Hollis Chenery & T.N. Srinivasan (ed.), Handbook of Development Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 42, pages 2659-2772 Elsevier.
- Binswanger, Hans P. & Deininger, Klaus & Feder, Gershon, 1993. "Power, distortions, revolt, and reform in agricultural land relations," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1164, The World Bank.
- Deininger, Klaus & Olinto, Pedro, 2000. "Why liberalization alone has not improved agricultural productivity in Zambia : the role of asset ownership and working capital constraints," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2302, The World Bank.
- Deininger, Klaus, 1995. "Collective agricultural production: A solution for transition economies?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(8), pages 1317-1334, August.
- Michael R. CARTER, 1994. "Sequencing Capital And Land Market Reforms For Broadly Based Growth," Staff Papers 379, University of Wisconsin Madison, AAE.
- Michael R. Carter, 1994. "Sequencing Capital and Land Market Reforms for Broadly Based Growth," Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Staff Papers 379, Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Department.
- van Zyl, Johan & Binswanger, Hans & Thirtle, Colin, 1995. "The relationship between farm size and efficiency in South African agriculture," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1548, The World Bank.
- Yu, Bingxin & Fulginiti, Lilyan E. & Perrin, Richard K., 2002. "Agriculture Productivity In Sub-Saharan Africa," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19816, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Pender, John & Jagger, Pamela & Nkonya, Ephraim & Sserunkuuma, Dick, 2004. "Development Pathways and Land Management in Uganda," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 767-792, May.
- Gallant, A. Ronald, 1982. "Unbiased determination of production technologies," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 285-323, November.
- Arnstein Aassve & Simon Burgess & Andrew Chesher & Carol Propper, 2002. "Transitions from home to marriage of young Americans," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(1), pages 1-23.
- Arnstein Aassve & Simon Burgess & Andrew Chesher & Carol Propper, 2001. "Transitions from home to marriage of young Americans," MPIDR Working Papers WP-2001-004, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-332.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Ray, Subhash C, 1985. "Measurement and Test of Efficiency of Farms in Linear Programming Models: A Study of West Bengal Farms," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 47(4), pages 371-386, November.
- Shapiro, Kenneth H & Muller, Jurgen, 1977. " Sources of Technical Efficiency: The Roles of Modernization and Information," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 25(2), pages 293-310, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:ufstpd:53061. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.