Economic Performance of U.S. Multinational Agribusinesses: Foreign Direct Investment and Firm Strategy
This paper empirically assesses the sequential relationships among firm strategic factors, FDI activity, and economic performance for a sample of U.S.-based Multinational agribusinesses. The most important findings of this research is a positive direct effect of FDI on performance, the complementary effect between FDI and firm strategic factors (positive and significant interaction terms) on performance, and the positive effect of FDI on performance given some thresholds of firm strategic factors. Specifically, it provides insights about the direct effect of FDI on performance, as well as about the joint effect of firm size and FDI, marketing intensity and FDI, and capital intensity and FDI on performance. These findings provide evidence that FDI activity is an important factor for U.S. agribusiness financial strength.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.saea.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Masaaki Kotabe & Srini S Srinivasan & Preet S Aulakh, 2002. "Multinationality and Firm Performance: The Moderating Role of R&D and Marketing Capabilities," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 33(1), pages 79-97, March.
- Gordon M. Bodnar & Charles Tang & Joseph Weintrop, 1997.
"Both Sides of Corporate Diversification: The Value Impacts of Geographic and Industrial Diversification,"
NBER Working Papers
6224, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bodnar, G.M. & Tang, C. & Weintrop, J., 1998. "Both Sides of Corporate Diversification: The Value Impacts of Geographic and Industrial Diversification," Weiss Center Working Papers 98-02, Wharton School - Weiss Center for International Financial Research.
- John A Doukas & L H P Lang, 2003. "Foreign direct investment, diversification and firm performance," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 34(2), pages 153-172, March.
- Lee, Jooh & Habte-Giorgis, Berhe, 2004. "Empirical approach to the sequential relationships between firm strategy, export activity, and performance in U.S. manufacturing firms," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 101-129, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:saea12:119763. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.