Ways Donors Can Help The Evolution Of Sustainable Microfinance Organizations
This paper suggests ways donors can help the evolution of sustainable microfinance organizations. Sustainability is good because it helps MFOs help more poor people than otherwise. Sustainability is hard because it requires balancing outreach and sustainability with prices the poor can afford yet high enough to cover the costs of the MFO. Donors are like genetic engineers whose job is to speed the evolution of sturdy MFOs. Technical assistance is the best way to tinker with MFOs.
|Date of creation:||1997|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2120 Fyffe Road, Columbus, Ohio 43210-1099|
Web page: http://www-agecon.ag.ohio-state.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gonzalez-Vega, Claudio & Schreiner, Mark & Meyer, Richard L. & Rodriguez-Meza, Jorge & Navajas, Sergio, 1996. "Bancosol: The Challenge Of Growth For Microfinance Organizations," Economics and Sociology Occasional Papers 28333, Ohio State University, Department of Agricultural, Environmental and Development Economics.
- J. D. Von Pischke & Dale W Adams, 1980. "Fungibility and the Design and Evaluation of Agricultural Credit Projects," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 62(4), pages 719-726.
- Pitt, M.M. & Khandker, S.R., 1996. "Household and Intrahousehold Impact of the Grameen Bank and Similar Targeted Credit Programs in Bangladesh," World Bank - Discussion Papers 320, World Bank.
- Gale, William G, 1991.
"Economic Effects of Federal Credit Programs,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 81(1), pages 133-152, March.
- William G. Gale, 1988. "Economic Effects of Federal Credit Programs," UCLA Economics Working Papers 483, UCLA Department of Economics.
- J. D. Von Pischke, 1996. "Measuring the trade-off between outreach and sustainability of microenterprise lenders," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(2), pages 225-239.
- Reinhard H. Schmidt & Claus-Peter Zeitinger, 1996. "Prospects, problems and potential of credit-granting NGOs," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(2), pages 241-258.
- Binswanger, Hans & Khandker, Shahidur, 1992. "The impact of formal finance on the rural economy of India," Policy Research Working Paper Series 949, The World Bank.
- Yaron, J., 1992. "Successful Rural Finance Institutions," World Bank - Discussion Papers 150, World Bank. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:ohsesp:28327. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.