How To Measure The Subsidy Received By A Development Finance Institution
The most common indicator of the financial performance of development finance institutions, the Subsidy Dependence Index of Yaron (1992a), fails to recognize that subsidies are like equity injections whose use over time has a cost. Thus, the SDI underestimates subsidy. This paper gives a modified framework that counts all subsidies as equity injections. The paper also recasts the traditional SDI formula to clarify its definition and to show its invariance with respect to the form of subsidized resources. The modified framework is applied to the Grameen Bank in Bangladesh and to Caja los Andes, a microfinance organization in Bolivia. The underestimation of the traditional measure is material. The modified framework could be applied to any subsidized organization.
|Date of creation:||1997|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2120 Fyffe Road, Columbus, Ohio 43210-1099|
Web page: http://www-agecon.ag.ohio-state.edu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Khandker, S.R. & Khalily, B. & Khan, Z., 1995. "Grameen Bank: Performance and Sustainability," World Bank - Discussion Papers 306, World Bank.
- Hashemi, Syed M. & Schuler, Sidney Ruth & Riley, Ann P., 1996. "Rural credit programs and women's empowerment in Bangladesh," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 635-653, April.
- Gonzalez-Vega, Claudio & Schreiner, Mark & Meyer, Richard L. & Rodriguez-Meza, Jorge & Navajas, Sergio, 1996. "Bancosol: The Challenge Of Growth For Microfinance Organizations," Economics and Sociology Occasional Papers 28333, Ohio State University, Department of Agricultural, Environmental and Development Economics.
- J. D. Von Pischke & Dale W Adams, 1980. "Fungibility and the Design and Evaluation of Agricultural Credit Projects," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 62(4), pages 719-726.
- Pitt, M.M. & Khandker, S.R., 1996. "Household and Intrahousehold Impact of the Grameen Bank and Similar Targeted Credit Programs in Bangladesh," World Bank - Discussion Papers 320, World Bank.
- Claudio Gonzalez-Vega & Mark Schreiner, 2001. "Dominican Republic: Analysis of the Clients of FondoMicro," Development and Comp Systems 0109008, EconWPA.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:ohsesp:28323. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.