Track Record of Financial Institutions in Assisting the Poor in Asia
A variety of institutional forms of microfinance are being introduced in Asia including by the ADB-and financial institutions pursue different objectives, so it is difficult to assess how well microfinance is actually contributing to poverty alleviation. There is little systematic data available on which to make global or regional generalizations. The objective of this paper is to provide some insights into how well the industry is performing by summarizing and evaluating key studies and data for the region.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark Schreiner & Jacob Yaron, 2001. "Development Finance Institutions : Measuring Their Subsidy," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13983, July.
- Richard L. Meyer, 2002. "The demand for flexible microfinance products: lessons from Bangladesh," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(3), pages 351-368.
- Navajas, Sergio & Schreiner, Mark & Meyer, Richard L. & Gonzalez-vega, Claudio & Rodriguez-meza, Jorge, 2000.
"Microcredit and the Poorest of the Poor: Theory and Evidence from Bolivia,"
Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 333-346, February.
- Navajas, Sergio & Schreiner, Mark & Meyer, Richard L. & Gonzalez-Vega, Claudio & Rodriguez-Meza, Jorge, 1998. "Microcredit And The Poorest Of The Poor: Theory And Evidence From Bolivia," Economics and Sociology Occasional Papers 28334, Ohio State University, Department of Agricultural, Environmental and Development Economics.
- Marguerite S. Robinson, 2002. "The Microfinance Revolution : Volume 2. Lessons from Indonesia," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 14254, July.
- Mark M. Pitt & Shahidur R. Khandker, 1998. "The Impact of Group-Based Credit Programs on Poor Households in Bangladesh: Does the Gender of Participants Matter?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(5), pages 958-996, October.
- Morduch, Jonathan, 1999. "The role of subsidies in microfinance: evidence from the Grameen Bank," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 229-248, October.
- J. D. Von Pischke & Dale W Adams, 1980. "Fungibility and the Design and Evaluation of Agricultural Credit Projects," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 62(4), pages 719-726.
- Judy L. Baker, 2000. "Evaluating the Impact of Development Projects on Poverty : A Handbook for Practitioners," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13949, July.
- Zeller, Manfred & Schrieder, Gertrud & von Braun, Joachim & Heidhues, Franz, 1997. "Rural finance for food security for the poor," Food policy reviews 4, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Yaron, J., 1992. "Successful Rural Finance Institutions," World Bank - Discussion Papers 150, World Bank.
- Coleman, Brett E., 1999. "The impact of group lending in Northeast Thailand," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 105-141, October.
- Hulme, David, 2000. "Impact Assessment Methodologies for Microfinance: Theory, Experience and Better Practice," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 79-98, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ess:wpaper:id:2284. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.