The Impact of Trade Openness on Technical Efficiency in U.S. Agriculture
This study addresses the impact of trade openness on technical efficiency in the U.S. agricultural sector. The results indicate that trade protectionism illustrated with a decrease in the share of agricultural imports in agricultural GDP led to an increase in technical efficiency. A change in the share of agricultural exports in agricultural GDP had no impact on technical efficiency. These results are partially consistent with the premise of the new trade theory, but also seem to be driven by the intricacies of the agricultural sector and agricultural policy in the United States and internationally.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (701) 231-7441
Web page: http://www.ext.nodak.edu/homepages/aedept/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Krishna G. Iyer & Alicia N. Rambaldi & Kam Ki Tang, 2008. "Efficiency externalities of trade and alternative forms of foreign investment in OECD countries," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(6), pages 749-766.
- Francisco Alcalá & Antonio Ciccone, 2001.
"Trade and productivity,"
Economics Working Papers
580, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Jul 2002.
- Hung-jen Wang & Peter Schmidt, 2002.
"One-Step and Two-Step Estimation of the Effects of Exogenous Variables on Technical Efficiency Levels,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 129-144, September.
- Wang, Hung-jen & Schmidt, Peter, 2001. "One-step and two-step estimation of the effects of exogenous variables on technical efficiency levels," MPRA Paper 31075, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Mar 2002.
- Miljkovic, Dragan & Jin, Hyun J. & Paul, Rodney, 2008.
"The role of productivity growth and farmers' income protection policies in the decline of relative farm prices in the United States,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 873-885.
- Miljkovic, Dragan & Jin, Hyun Joung & Paul, Rodney, 2007. "The Role of Productivity Growth and Farmers' Income Protection Policies in the Decline of Relative Farm Prices in the United States," Agribusiness & Applied Economics Report 9368, North Dakota State University, Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:nddaae:95749. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.