Efficiency and productivity of the Mongolian livestock sector in an open economy
In the early 1990s, Mongolia initiated a transition from a command to a market economy; accordingly, significant changes took place in the livestock sector, including decollectivization, privatization, and greater exposure to international trade. Taking into account these changes, this study measures technical efficiency and its sources—including trade openness—of the Mongolian livestock sector by using a stochastic production frontier model on province-level panel data for the period 2001–2011. Furthermore, we measure and decompose changes in total factor productivity (TFP) by using the results from the stochastic frontier analysis and the Malmquist TFP index. Our results suggest that trade openness is one of the most important determinants increasing efficiency of the sector, in addition to herd size and access to electricity. TFP increased during 2001–2011, but at a decreasing rate. The technical change was progressive until 2009, but turned regressive afterwards, suggesting a pressing need for technical improvements in the sector.
Volume (Year): 33 (2013)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jarrett Hart & Dragan Miljkovic & Saleem Shaik, 2015. "The impact of trade openness on technical efficiency in the agricultural sector of the European Union," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(12), pages 1230-1247, March.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-332.
- Miljkovic, Dragan & Shaik, Saleem, 2010.
"The Impact of Trade Openness on Technical Efficiency in U.S. Agriculture,"
2010 Annual Meeting, February 6-9, 2010, Orlando, Florida
56334, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Miljkovic, Dragan & Shaik, Saleem, 2010. "The Impact of Trade Openness on Technical Efficiency in U.S. Agriculture," Agribusiness & Applied Economics Report 95749, North Dakota State University, Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics.
- Dragan Miljkovic & Silvia H. Miranda & Saleem Shaik, 2013. "Trade openness and technical efficiency in Brazilian agriculture," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(2), pages 103-106, February.
- George E. Battese & Greg S. Corra, 1977. "Estimation Of A Production Frontier Model: With Application To The Pastoral Zone Of Eastern Australia," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 21(3), pages 169-179, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-13-00635. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.