Efficiency and productivity of the Mongolian livestock sector in an open economy
In the early 1990s, Mongolia initiated a transition from a command to a market economy; accordingly, significant changes took place in the livestock sector, including decollectivization, privatization, and greater exposure to international trade. Taking into account these changes, this study measures technical efficiency and its sources—including trade openness—of the Mongolian livestock sector by using a stochastic production frontier model on province-level panel data for the period 2001–2011. Furthermore, we measure and decompose changes in total factor productivity (TFP) by using the results from the stochastic frontier analysis and the Malmquist TFP index. Our results suggest that trade openness is one of the most important determinants increasing efficiency of the sector, in addition to herd size and access to electricity. TFP increased during 2001–2011, but at a decreasing rate. The technical change was progressive until 2009, but turned regressive afterwards, suggesting a pressing need for technical improvements in the sector.
Volume (Year): 33 (2013)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dragan Miljkovic & Silvia H. Miranda & Saleem Shaik, 2013. "Trade openness and technical efficiency in Brazilian agriculture," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(2), pages 103-106, February.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
- George E. Battese & Greg S. Corra, 1977. "Estimation Of A Production Frontier Model: With Application To The Pastoral Zone Of Eastern Australia," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 21(3), pages 169-179, December.
- Miljkovic, Dragan & Shaik, Saleem, 2010.
"The Impact of Trade Openness on Technical Efficiency in U.S. Agriculture,"
Agribusiness & Applied Economics Report
95749, North Dakota State University, Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics.
- Miljkovic, Dragan & Shaik, Saleem, 2010. "The Impact of Trade Openness on Technical Efficiency in U.S. Agriculture," 2010 Annual Meeting, February 6-9, 2010, Orlando, Florida 56334, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-13-00635. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.