Determinants of Agricultural Cash Rents in Germany: A Spatial Econometric Analysis for Farm-Level Data
This article analyses determinants for 2001 farmland rental prices from 4376 farms in Germany. We derive our regression equation from a spatial reaction function to allow for spatial transmission of rental prices. Results from a general spatial model show that a € 1 per hectare higher rental price in a farmer’s neighbourhood coincides with a € 0.57 higher rental price he has to pay. For policy evaluation we estimate the marginal incidence of regional EU per-hectare premiums. We find a value significantly above one and propose an explanation for this counterintuitive result based on the long-running nature of rental contracts, simultaneity of premium introduction and intervention price cuts as well as assumed stickiness of rental prices. Regional livestock density, which is indirectly influenced by different policies, is also a major determinant of rental prices.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.iaae-agecon.org/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sergio H. Lence & Ashok K. Mishra, 2003.
"The Impacts of Different Farm Programs on Cash Rents,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(3), pages 753-761.
- Lence, Sergio H. & Mishra, Ashok K., 2003. "The Impacts of Different Farm Programs on Cash Rents," Staff General Research Papers Archive 11470, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Bierlen, Ralph W. & Parsch, Lucas D. & Dixon, Bruce L., 1999. "How Cropland Contract Type And Term Decisions Are Made: Evidence From An Arkansas Tenant Survey," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IFAMA), vol. 2(01).
- Johan Swinnen & Pavel Ciaian & d’Artis Kancs, 2008. "Functioning of Land Markets in the EU Member States," Journal of Economics and Econometrics, Economics and Econometrics Society, vol. 51(2), pages 48-62.
- Johan Swinnen & Pavel Ciaian & d’Artis Kancs, 2008. "Study on the Functioning of Land Markets in the EU Member States under the Influence of Measures applied under the Common Agricultural Policy," EERI Research Paper Series EERI_RP_2008_04, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Patton, Myles & Kostov, Philip & McErlean, Seamus & Moss, Joan, 2008. "Assessing the influence of direct payments on the rental value of agricultural land," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 397-405, October.
- Michael J. Roberts & Barrett Kirwan & Jeffrey Hopkins, 2003. "The Incidence of Government Program Payments on Agricultural Land Rents: The Challenges of Identification," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(3), pages 762-769.
- Joseph A. Herriges & Jason F. Shogren & Nancy E. Barickman, 1992. "The Implicit Value of Corn Base Acreage," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 74(1), pages 50-58.
- Herriges, Joseph A. & Shogren, Jason F., 1992. "The Implicit Value of Corn Base Acreage," Staff General Research Papers Archive 10788, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Kilian, Stefan & Salhofer, Klaus, 2008. "Single Payments of the CAP: Where Do the Rents Go?," Agricultural Economics Review, Greek Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 9(2), June.
- Allen M. Featherstone & Timothy G. Baker, 1988. "Effects of Reduced Price and Income Supports on Farmland Rent and Value," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 10(2), pages 177-189.
- Anselin, Luc, 2002. "Under the hood Issues in the specification and interpretation of spatial regression models," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 27(3), November.
- Anselin, Luc, 2002. "Under the hood : Issues in the specification and interpretation of spatial regression models," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 27(3), pages 247-267, November.
- J. Barkley Rosser, 2009. "Introduction," Chapters,in: Handbook of Research on Complexity, chapter 1 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Mundlak, Yair, 1978. "Occupational Migration out of Agriculture-A Cross-Country Analysis," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 60(3), pages 392-398, August.
- Alfons Weersink & Steve Clark & Calum G. Turvey & Rakhal Sarker, 1999. "The Effect of Agricultural Policy on Farmland Values," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 75(3), pages 425-439.
- Fuchs, Clemens, 2002. "The Influence of Per-hectare Premiums on Prices for Rented Agricultural Area and on Agricultural Land Prices," German Journal of Agricultural Economics, Humboldt-Universitaet zu Berlin, Department for Agricultural Economics, vol. 51(8).
- Andrew P. Barkley, 1990. "The Determinants of the Migration of Labor out of Agriculture in the United States, 1940–85," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 72(3), pages 567-573.
- Barrett E. Kirwan, 2009. "The Incidence of U.S. Agricultural Subsidies on Farmland Rental Rates," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 117(1), pages 138-164, 02.
- Kirwan, Barrett E., 2008. "The Incidence of U.S. Agricultural Subsidies on Farmland Rental Rates," Working Papers 42714, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:iaae09:51685. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.