Risk, Technical Efficiency And Market Transaction Costs In Different Organisational Forms: Evidence From The Oblast Tatarstan
The paper investigates the significance of external and internal transaction costs and risk in agriculture in the Tatarstan Republic. The analysis is conducted for independent farms and farms which are members of agroholdings. The result indicates that external transaction costs are more marked in independent farms than in agroholding members. However, average prices do not differ among the organisational forms. With regard to internal transaction costs (or inefficiency) the result is the opposite. Inefficiency in agroholding members is considerably higher than in independent farms. However, the estimation suggests that this result is due to more intense risk management in agroholding members. Thus, members of a business group have a more intense use of inputs; however, these are rather allocated to reduce uncertainty of production than to increase production.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Bundesallee 50, 38116 Braunschweig|
Phone: 0531 / 596 5501
Fax: 0531 / 596 5599
Web page: http://www.gewisola.de/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hockmann, Heinrich & Bokusheva, Raushan & Bezlepkina, Irina V., 2007. "Agroholdings membership: does that make a difference in performance?," 102nd Seminar, May 17-18, 2007, Moscow, Russia 10023, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Just, Richard E. & Pope, Rulon D., 1978. "Stochastic specification of production functions and economic implications," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 67-86, February.
- Jondrow, James & Knox Lovell, C. A. & Materov, Ivan S. & Schmidt, Peter, 1982. "On the estimation of technical inefficiency in the stochastic frontier production function model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 233-238, August.
- Subal C. Kumbhakar, 2002. "Specification and Estimation of Production Risk, Risk Preferences and Technical Efficiency," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(1), pages 8-22.
- Raushan Bokusheva & Heinrich Hockmann, 2006.
"Production risk and technical inefficiency in Russian agriculture,"
European Review of Agricultural Economics,
Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 33(1), pages 93-118, March.
- Bokusheva, Raushan & Hockmann, Heinrich, 2005. "Production Risk and Technical Inefficiency in Russian Agriculture," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24610, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Ulrich Koester, 2005. "A revival of large farms in Eastern Europe-how important are institutions?," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 32(s1), pages 103-113, 01.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:gewi11:114510. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.