Testing for linear and threshold cointegration under the spatial equilibrium condition
Economic theory states that the spatial equilibrium condition is a region where prices can be or not cointegrated. It is when prices are within such a region when they are no cointegrated, when prices are in its boundaries they are not only cointegrated but also fulfilling the Law of One Price (LOP). Nonetheless the econometric techniques assume a mean reverting process in order to test for cointegration, either linear or non linear. This research shows that in the absence of such mean reverting process by using prices in pure equilibrium, cointegration (linear and non linear) is often rejected. Such findings go in line with the Band Threshold Autoregressive Model where the neutral band is a region of no cointegration. Furthermore it can be concluded that the economic concept of perfect market integration (LOP) by itself is not sufficient for testing cointegration with some of the current econometric methods.
|Date of creation:||23 Feb 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.eaae.org|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McNew, Kevin & Fackler, Paul L., 1997. "Testing Market Equilibrium: Is Cointegration Informative?," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 22(02), December.
- Seo, Myunghwan, 2006. "Bootstrap testing for the null of no cointegration in a threshold vector error correction model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 134(1), pages 129-150, September.
- Johansen, Soren, 2000. "Modelling of cointegration in the vector autoregressive model," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 359-373, August.
- Hansen, Bruce E. & Seo, Byeongseon, 2002.
"Testing for two-regime threshold cointegration in vector error-correction models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 293-318, October.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Hansen/Seo paper on threshold cointegration," Statistical Software Components RTZ00092, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Lo, Ming Chien & Zivot, Eric, 2001. "Threshold Cointegration And Nonlinear Adjustment To The Law Of One Price," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(04), pages 533-576, September.
- Granger, C. W. J., 1981. "Some properties of time series data and their use in econometric model specification," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 121-130, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:eaa123:122545. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.