Child Nutritional Status in the Malawian District of Salima: A Capability Approach
This paper investigates the long- and short-term determinants of child nutritional status in the Malawian district of Salima. Based on monthly data from July 2004 to June 2012, the study applies the capability approach to the analysis of the impact on child nutritional status of a set of indicators representative of household food security, maternal and child care, access to and coverage of health services and health environment conditions. Two models are estimated by OLS in order to compare results based on historical series and their trend-cycle, seasonal and irregular components. Findings suggest to consider the relative response of child nutritional status to food and health in policy making, the importance of efficient and effective coordination mechanisms among stakeholders, the need for a multidimensional food security indicator, the relevance of seasonal events and climatic shocks, and the urgency to arrest the long-term cycle of food insecurity and malnutrition.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.aieaa.org/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Smith, Lisa C. & Haddad, Lawrence James, 2000. "Explaining child malnutrition in developing countries: a cross-country analysis," Research reports 111, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Andrew C. Harvey, 1990. "The Econometric Analysis of Time Series, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 2, volume 1, number 026208189x.
- Amartya Sen, 1981. "Ingredients of Famine Analysis: Availability and Entitlements," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 96(3), pages 433-464.
- Francesco Burchi & Pasquale De Muro, 2012. "A Human Development and Capability Approach to Food Security: Conceptual Framework and Informational Basis," UNDP Africa Policy Notes 2012-009, United Nations Development Programme, Regional Bureau for Africa.
- Ellis, Frank & Manda, Elizabeth, 2012. "Seasonal Food Crises and Policy Responses: A Narrative Account of Three Food Security Crises in Malawi," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(7), pages 1407-1417.
- Stephen Devereux, 2012. "Social Protection for Enhanced Food Security in Sub-Saharan Africa," UNDP Africa Policy Notes 2012-010, United Nations Development Programme, Regional Bureau for Africa.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aiea13:149892. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.