Measuring assistance to the agricultural industry in Australia using a Production Assistance Index
The history of the reforms of the assistance given to Australian agriculture over the past fifty years is a remarkable story, especially when contrasted with the experiences of most other OECD countries. The effects of these reforms have been captured by the Productivity Commission (and its predecessors) and by Lloyd through time series of the nominal rates of assistance to individual agricultural commodities and to the industry as a whole. In this paper the concept of a partial equilibrium production assistance index is developed to obtain a more accurate picture of the implicit welfare consequences of this assistance for the period 1955-59 to 2000-04. This index is a mean of order 2. It is shown that the conventional average, the mean of order 1, substantially underestimates the mean of order 2, which is the correct definition of the average level of assistance.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200|
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Feenstra, Robert C., 1995.
"Estimating the effects of trade policy,"
Handbook of International Economics,in: G. M. Grossman & K. Rogoff (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 30, pages 1553-1595
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1995. "Estimating the Effects of Trade Policy," NBER Working Papers 5051, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert Feenstra, 2004. "Estimating The Effects Of Trade Policy," Working Papers 9510, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Feenstra, R.C., 1995. "Estimating the Effects of Trade Policy," Papers 95-10, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Feenstra, R.C., 1995. "Estimating the Effects of Trade Policy," Department of Economics 95-10, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Kym Anderson & Peter Lloyd & Donald Maclaren, 2007. "Distortions to Agricultural Incentives in Australia Since World War II," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 83(263), pages 461-482, December.
- Kym Anderson & Peter Lloyd & Donald MacLaren, 2007. "Distortions to Agricultural Incentives in Australia Since World War II," Centre for International Economic Studies Working Papers 2007-01, University of Adelaide, Centre for International Economic Studies.
- Anderson, Kym & Lloyd, Peter & MacLaren, Donald, 2008. "Distortions to agricultural incentives in Australia since world war II," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4471, The World Bank.
- Anderson, Kym & Lloyd, Peter J & Maclaren, Donald, 2007. "Distortions to Agricultural Incentives in Australia Since World War II," CEPR Discussion Papers 6436, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- James E. Anderson & J. Peter Neary, 2005. "Measuring the Restrictiveness of International Trade Policy," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262012200, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)