A bioeconomic model for determining the optimal response to a new weed incursion in Australian cropping systems
Invasions by non-indigenous plant species pose serious economic threats to Australian agricultural industries. When an invasion is discovered a decision has to be made as to whether to attempt to eradicate it, contain it or do nothing. These decisions should be based on long term benefits and costs. This paper describes a bioeconomic simulation framework with a mathematical model representing weed spread linked to a dynamic programming model to provide a means of determining the economically optimal weed management strategies over time. The modelling framework is used to evaluate case study invasive weed control problems in the Australian grains industry.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pandey, Sushil & Medd, R. W., 1991. "A stochastic dynamic programming framework for weed control decision making: an application to Avena fatua L," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 6(2), pages 115-128, December.
- Pandey, Sushil & Medd, R. W., 1990. "Integration of seed and plant kill tactics for control of wild oats: An economic evaluation," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 65-76.
- Swinton, Scott M. & King, Robert P., 1994. "A bioeconomic model for weed management in corn and soybean," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 313-335.
- Pandey, Sushil & Medd, R. W., 1991. "A stochastic dynamic programming framework for weed control decision making: an application to Avena fatua L," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 6(2), December.
- Gorddard, Russell J. & Pannell, David J. & Hertzler, Greg, 1996. "Economic evaluation of strategies for management of herbicide resistance," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 281-298, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aare08:6015. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.