Measuring Environmental Performance of Irrigated Cotton Enterprises
Irrigation enterprises can be evaluated from a perspective of technical and environmental efficiency. This study determines the technical and environmental efficiency in irrigated cotton enterprises. This is achieved by investigating efficiency at cotton enterprise in the case study area of the Mooki Catchment, located in northern New South Wales. Deep drainage loss which contributes to salinity is considered as an environmental detrimental output. Using four different specifications of Data Envelopment Analysis relative efficiency rankings are determined for each agricultural area in the catchment. This result is then compared to biophysical characteristics from previous studies to help identify the particular features of an area which may influence outcomes that are both environmentally sound and economically efficient. With the identification of the most and least efficient cotton irrigating areas in the region, policymakers can construct a relative ranking system to best determine policy directions in order to achieve economic and environmental objectives.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200|
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Philip W. Gassman & Manuel R. Reyes & Colleen H. Green & Jeffrey G. Arnold, 2007. "Soil and Water Assessment Tool: Historical Development, Applications, and Future Research Directions, The," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 07-wp443, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Chakraborty, Kalyan & Misra, Sukant & Johnson, Phillip, 2002.
"Cotton Farmers' Technical Efficiency: Stochastic and Nonstochastic Production Function Approaches,"
Agricultural and Resource Economics Review,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 31(02), pages 211-220, October.
- Chakraborty, Kalyan & Misra, Sukant K. & Johnson, Phillip N., 2002. "Cotton Farmers' Technical Efficiency: Stochastic and Nonstochastic Production Function Approaches," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 31(2), October.
- Tennakoon, S. B. & Milroy, S. P., 2003. "Crop water use and water use efficiency on irrigated cotton farms in Australia," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 61(3), pages 179-194, July.
- Reinhard, Stijn & Knox Lovell, C. A. & Thijssen, Geert J., 2000. "Environmental efficiency with multiple environmentally detrimental variables; estimated with SFA and DEA," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 121(2), pages 287-303, March.
- Cinzia Daraio & Léopold Simar, 2005. "Introducing Environmental Variables in Nonparametric Frontier Models: a Probabilistic Approach," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 93-121, 09.
- Cinzia Daraio & Leopold Simar, 2003. "Introducing Environmental Variables in Nonparametric Frontier Models: a Probabilistic Approach," LEM Papers Series 2003/17, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Fare, Rolf, et al, 1993. "Derivation of Shadow Prices for Undesirable Outputs: A Distance Function Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(2), pages 374-380, May.
- Fare, Rolf, et al, 1989. "Multilateral Productivity Comparisons When Some Outputs Are Undesirable: A Nonparametric Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(1), pages 90-98, February.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Mika Kortelainen & Timo Kuosmanen, 2004. "Measuring Eco-efficiency of Production: A Frontier Approach," Econometrics 0411006, EconWPA. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aare08:6004. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.