Impact of land readjustment project on farmland use and structural adjustment: The case of Niigata, Japan
This paper examines the impact of farmland readjustment projects on farmland use and structural adjustment in Niigata, Japan. We use census data of rural communities for 1990 and 2000 to conduct pooled regression, first-difference, difference-in-differences, and propensity score matching estimations. We find positive impact of farmland readjustment projects in alleviating farmland abandonment and in facilitating outsourcing of agricultural works and farmland rental. The results suggest that farmland consolidation may be an effective option to resolve farmland fragmentation and to promote structural adjustment in concentrating farmland to efficient farmers which is a premise for strengthening the agricultural sector under economies of scale.
|Date of creation:||02 May 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chen, Zhuo & Huffman, Wallace & Rozelle, Scott, 2006.
"Farm Technology and Technical Efficiency: Evidence from Four Regions in China,"
Staff General Research Papers
12605, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Chen, Zhuo & Huffman, Wallace E. & Rozelle, Scott, 2009. "Farm technology and technical efficiency: Evidence from four regions in China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 153-161, June.
- Marco Caliendo & Sabine Kopeinig, 2005.
"Some Practical Guidance for the Implementation of Propensity Score Matching,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
485, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Marco Caliendo & Sabine Kopeinig, 2008. "Some Practical Guidance For The Implementation Of Propensity Score Matching," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(1), pages 31-72, 02.
- Caliendo, Marco & Kopeinig, Sabine, 2005. "Some Practical Guidance for the Implementation of Propensity Score Matching," IZA Discussion Papers 1588, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jabarin, Amer S. & Epplin, Francis M., 1994.
"Impacts of land fragmentation on the cost of producing wheat in the rain-fed region of northern Jordan,"
Blackwell, vol. 11(2-3), pages 191-196, December.
- Jabarin, Amer S. & Epplin, Francis M., 1994. "Impacts of land fragmentation on the cost of producing wheat in the rain-fed region of northern Jordan," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 11(2-3), December.
- Guang Wan & Enjiang Cheng, 2001. "Effects of land fragmentation and returns to scale in the Chinese farming sector," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(2), pages 183-194.
- Todd, Petra E., 2008. "Evaluating Social Programs with Endogenous Program Placement and Selection of the Treated," Handbook of Development Economics, Elsevier.
- Sikor, Thomas & Müller, Daniel & Stahl, Johannes, 2009. "Land Fragmentation and Cropland Abandonment in Albania: Implications for the Roles of State and Community in Post-Socialist Land Consolidation," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 1411-1423, August.
- Heston, Alan & Kumar, Dharma, 1983. "The persistence of land fragmentation in peasant agriculture: An analysis of South Asian cases," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 199-220, April.
- Thomas, Joachim, 2006. "Property Rights, Land Fragmentation and the Emerging Structure of Agriculture in Central and Eastern European Countries," eJADE: electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics, Food and Agriculture Organization, Agricultural and Development Economics Division, vol. 3(2).
- Heckman, James J & Ichimura, Hidehiko & Todd, Petra E, 1997. "Matching as an Econometric Evaluation Estimator: Evidence from Evaluating a Job Training Programme," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 64(4), pages 605-54, October.
- Van Hung, Pham & MacAulay, T. Gordon & Marsh, Sally P., 2007. "The economics of land fragmentation in the north of Vietnam," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 51(2), June.
- Joachim Thomas, 2006. "Property rights, land fragmentation and the emerging structure of agriculture in Central and Eastern European countries," The Electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, vol. 3(2), pages 225-275.
- Bizimana, Claude & Nieuwoudt, W. Lieb & Ferrer, Stuart R.D., 2004. "Farm size, land fragmentation and economic efficiency in southern Rwanda," Agrekon, Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA), vol. 43(2), June.
- Alberto Abadie & Guido W. Imbens, 2002. "Simple and Bias-Corrected Matching Estimators for Average Treatment Effects," NBER Technical Working Papers 0283, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea10:61278. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.