Consumer Choices and Welfare Gains from New, Healthy Products: A Virtual Price Approach
This paper models consumer food choices with respect to different margarine and spread brands that include a new healthy brand. The results show that the older and smaller size households with higher income and higher education are more likely to purchase the healthy brand. An Almost Ideal Demand System for six brands was estimated and the coefficients were used to calculate price and brand expenditure elasticities in order to examine the responsiveness of the consumers to economic variables.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sonya Kostova Huffman & Stanley Johnson, 2002.
"Re-evaluation of Welfare Changes during the Transition in Poland,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 31-46.
- Huffman, Sonya K. & Johnson, Stanley R., 2002. "Re-Evaluation of Welfare Changes During the Transition in Poland," Staff General Research Papers Archive 11157, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Sonya Kostova Huffman & Stanley R. Johnson, 2000. "Re-evaluation of Welfare Changes during the Transition in Poland," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 00-wp255, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Sonya Kostova Huffman & Stanley R. Johnson, 2000. "Re-evaluation of Welfare Changes during the Transition in Poland," Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications 00-wp255, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Huffman, Sonya K. & Johnson, Stanley R., 2004.
"Impacts of Economic Reform in Poland: Incidence and Welfare Changes Within a Consistent Framework,"
Staff General Research Papers Archive
11158, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Sonya Kostova Huffman & Stanley R. Johnson, 2004. "Impacts of Economic Reform in Poland: Incidence and Welfare Changes Within a Consistent Framework," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 86(2), pages 626-636, May.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Matthew D. Shapiro, 2003. "Scanner Data and Price Indexes," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number feen03-1, September.
- W. Erwin Diewert, 2003. "Hedonic Regressions. A Consumer Theory Approach," NBER Chapters, in: Scanner Data and Price Indexes, pages 317-348 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brian W. Gould, 1998. "Factors Affecting the Timing of Purchasing of Butter, Margarine, and Blends: A Competing Goods Analysis," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(4), pages 793-805.
- Grossman, Michael, 1972. "On the Concept of Health Capital and the Demand for Health," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(2), pages 223-55, March-Apr.
- Chern, Wen S & Loehman, Edna T & Yen, Steven T, 1995. "Information, Health Risk Beliefs, and the Demand for Fats and Oils," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 77(3), pages 555-64, August.
- Aviv Nevo, 2001.
"New Products, Quality Changes and Welfare Measures Computed From Estimated Demand Systems,"
NBER Working Papers
8425, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aviv Nevo, 2003. "New Products, Quality Changes, and Welfare Measures Computed from Estimated Demand Systems," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(2), pages 266-275, May.
- Kelvin J. Lancaster, 1966. "A New Approach to Consumer Theory," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74, pages 132.
- Amil Petrin, 2002. "Quantifying the Benefits of New Products: The Case of the Minivan," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 110(4), pages 705-729, August.
- Neary, J. P. & Roberts, K. W. S., 1980.
"The theory of household behaviour under rationing,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 25-42, January.
- Neary, J.P & Roberts, K.W.S, 1978. "The Theory of Household Behaviour under Rationing," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 132, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Jerry A. Hausman, 1997. "Valuing the Effect of Regulation on New Services in Telecommunications," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 28(1997 Micr), pages 1-54.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea05:19351. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.