Agricultural Cooperatives And Cost-Reducing R&D In The Agri-Food System
This paper develops a sequential game theoretic model of heterogeneous producers to examine the effect of cooperative involvement on process innovation activity in the agricultural input-supplying sector. Analytical results show that the involvement of an open-membership cooperative in process innovation activity can be welfare enhancing and, thus, socially desirable. The presence of the co-op can increase the arrival rate of process innovations and productivity growth while reducing the price of agricultural inputs. The effectiveness of the co-op in innovation activity is determined by its initial market share and the size of the innovation costs.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rogers, Richard T. & Marion, Bruce W., 1990. "Food Manufacturing Activities of the Largest Agricultural Cooperatives: Market Power and Strategic Behavior Implications," Journal of Agricultural Cooperation, National Council of Farmer Cooperatives, vol. 5.
- Chaddad, Fabio Ribas & Cook, Michael L., 2002. "Testing For The Presence Of Financial Constraints In U.S," Working Papers 26045, University of Missouri Columbia, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Aoki, Reiko, 1991. "R&D Competition for Product Innovation: An Endless Race," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(2), pages 252-56, May.
- Segerstrom, Paul S & Anant, T C A & Dinopoulos, Elias, 1990. "A Schumpeterian Model of the Product Life Cycle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1077-91, December.
- Porter, Philip K & Scully, Gerald W, 1987. "Economic Efficiency in Cooperatives," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 30(2), pages 489-512, October.
- Delbono, Flavio & Denicolo, Vincenzo, 1993.
"Regulating innovative activity : The role of a public firm,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 35-48, March.
- Flavio Delbono & Vincenzo Denicolo, 1991. "Regulating Innovative Activity: the Role of a Public Firm," Working Papers 117, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Berit Tennbakk, 1995. "Marketing Cooperatives In Mixed Duopolies," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(1), pages 33-45.
- Aghion, Philippe & Howitt, Peter, 1992.
"A Model of Growth through Creative Destruction,"
Econometric Society, vol. 60(2), pages 323-51, March.
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1990. "A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction," DELTA Working Papers 90-12, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Philippe Aghion & Peter Howitt, 1990. "A Model of Growth Through Creative Destruction," NBER Working Papers 3223, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1989. "A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction," Working papers 527, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1989. "A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 8904, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Aghion, Philippe & Howitt, Peter, 1992. "A Model of Growth Through Creative Destruction," Scholarly Articles 12490578, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Hugh M. Neary & David Ulph, 1997. "Strategic Investment and the Co-existence of Labour-Managed and Profit-Maximising Firms," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 30(2), pages 308-28, May.
- Fudenberg, Drew & Gilbert, Richard & Stiglitz, Joseph & Tirole, Jean, 1983. "Preemption, leapfrogging and competition in patent races," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-31, June.
- Murray E. Fulton & Joan R. Fulton & J. Stephen Clark & Claudia Parliament, 1995. "Cooperative growth: Is it constrained?," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(3), pages 245-261.
- Poyago-Theotoky, Joanna, 1998. "R&D Competition in a Mixed Duopoly under Uncertainty and Easy Imitation," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 415-428, September.
- Delbono, Flavio, 1989. "Market Leadership with a Sequence of History Dependent Patent Races," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(1), pages 95-101, September.
- Murray Fulton & Konstantinos Giannakas, 2001. "Organizational Commitment in a Mixed Oligopoly: Agricultural Cooperatives and Investor-Owned Firms," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1258-1265.
- Kostas Karantininis & Angelo Zago, 2001. "Endogenous Membership in Mixed Duopsonies," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1266-1272.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea03:22193. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.