Fighting corruption with cultural dynamics: when legal-origins, religious-influences and existing corruption-control levels matter
Are there different determinants in the fight against corruption across developing countries? Why are some countries more effective at battling corruption than others? To investigate these concerns we examine the determinants of corruption-control throughout the conditional distribution of the fight against corruption using panel data from 46 African countries for the period 2002-2010. Our findings demonstrate that blanket corruption-control policies are unlikely to succeed equally across countries with different legal-traditions, religious-influences and political wills in the fight against corruption. Thus to be effective, corruption policies should be contingent on the prevailing levels of corruption-control and tailored differently across the best and worst corruption-fighting countries especially with respect to democracy, population growth and economic prosperity.
|Date of creation:||24 Feb 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.afridev.org/index.php/en/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Okada, Keisuke & Samreth, Sovannroeun, 2012.
"The effect of foreign aid on corruption: A quantile regression approach,"
Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 240-243.
- Okada, Keisuke & Samreth, Sovannroeun, 2011. "The effect of foreign aid on corruption: A quantile regression approach," MPRA Paper 27969, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1998.
"The Quality of Government,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1847, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert Vishny, 1998. "The Quality of Goverment," NBER Working Papers 6727, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert Vishny, . "The Quality of Government," Working Paper 19452, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Billger, Sherrilyn M. & Goel, Rajeev K., 2009. "Do existing corruption levels matter in controlling corruption?: Cross-country quantile regression estimates," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(2), pages 299-305, November.
- Simplice A Asongu, 2012.
"On the effect of foreign aid on corruption,"
AccessEcon, vol. 32(3), pages 2174-2180.
- Treisman, Daniel, 2000. "The causes of corruption: a cross-national study," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(3), pages 399-457, June.
- Pranab Bardhan, 1997. "Corruption and Development: A Review of Issues," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(3), pages 1320-1346, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:agd:wpaper:12/015. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Asongu Simplice)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.