The political economy of development assistance: peril to government quality dynamics in Africa
This paper assesses the effectiveness of foreign aid in improving government institutions in 52 African countries using updated data (1996-2010). Findings suggest development assistance deteriorates government quality dynamics of corruption-control, political-stability, rule of law, regulation quality, voice and accountability and government effectiveness. It is therefore a momentous epoque to solve the second tragedy of foreign aid; high time economists and policy makers start rethinking the models and theories on which foreign aid is based. In the meantime, it is up to people who really care about the poor to hold aid agencies accountable for results.
|Date of creation:||09 Feb 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.afridev.org/index.php/en/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- William Easterly & Ross Levine & David Roodman, 2003. "New Data, New doubts: A Comment on Burnside and Dollar's "Aid, Policies, and Growth" (2000)," NBER Working Papers 9846, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Simplice A., Simplice, 2011.
"Why do French civil-law countries have higher levels of financial efficiency?,"
33950, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Simplice A. ASONGU, 2011. "Why Do French Civil–Law Countries Have Higher Levels Of Financial Efficiency?," Journal of Advanced Research in Law and Economics, ASERS Publishing, vol. 0(2), pages 94-108, December.
- Asongu Simplice, 2011. "Why do French civil-law countries have higher levels of financial efficiency?," Working Papers 11/011, African Governance and Development Institute..
- Michael A. Clemens & Steven Radelet & Rikhil Bhavnani, 2004.
"Counting chickens when they hatch: The short-term effect of aid on growth,"
- Michael Clemens & Steven Radelet & Rikhil Bhavnani, 2004. "Counting Chickens When They Hatch: The Short-term Effect of Aid on Growth," Working Papers 44, Center for Global Development.
- Easterly, William, 2005.
"What did structural adjustment adjust?: The association of policies and growth with repeated IMF and World Bank adjustment loans,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 1-22, February.
- William Easterly, 2002. "What did Structural Adjustment Adjust? The Association of Policies and Growth with Repeated IMF and World Bank Adjustment Loans," Working Papers 11, Center for Global Development.
- Julius A. Agbor, 2011.
"How Does Colonial Origin Matter for Economic Performance in Sub-Saharan Africa?,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Working Paper W, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- J.A. Agbor & J. W. Fedderke & N. Viegi, 2010. "How Does Colonial Origin Matter for Economic Performance in sub-Saharan Africa?," Working Papers 176, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Stephen Knack, 2001. "Aid Dependence and the Quality of Governance: Cross-Country Empirical Tests," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 68(2), pages 310-329, October.
- Simplice A. Asongu, 2012.
"Law and Finance in Africa,"
Brussels Economic Review,
ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles, vol. 55(4), pages 385-408.
- Svensson, Jakob, 2000.
"Foreign aid and rent-seeking,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 437-461, August.
- Filmer, Deon & Hammer, Jeffrey S & Pritchett, Lant H, 2000. "Weak Links in the Chain: A Diagnosis of Health Policy in Poor Countries," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 15(2), pages 199-224, August.
- Easterly, William, 1999. "The ghost of financing gap: testing the growth model used in the international financial institutions," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 423-438, December.
- Kevin M. Murphy & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1988.
"Industrialization and the Big Push,"
NBER Working Papers
2708, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Asongu Simplice, 2011.
"Law, finance, economic growth and welfare: why does legal origin matter?,"
11/007, African Governance and Development Institute..
- Simplice A., Asongu, 2011. "Law, finance, economic growth and welfare: why does legal origin matter?," MPRA Paper 33868, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alberto Alesina & David Dollar, 1998.
"Who Gives Foreign Aid to Whom and Why?,"
NBER Working Papers
6612, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mosley, Paul & Hudson, John & Horrell, Sara, 1987. "Aid, the Public Sector and the Market in Less Developed Countries," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 97(387), pages 616-41, September.
- René M. Stulz, 1999. "Golbalization, Corporate Finance, And The Cost Of Capital," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 12(3), pages 8-25.
- Patrick GUILLAUMONT & Lisa CHAUVET, 1999.
"Aid and Performance: A Reassessment,"
- Tony Addison & George Mavrotas & Mark McGillivray, 2005.
"Development assistance and development finance: evidence and global policy agendas,"
Journal of International Development,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(6), pages 819-836.
- Addison, Tony & Mavrotas, George & McGillivray, Mark, 2005. "Development Assistance and Development Finance: Evidence and Global Policy Agendas," Working Paper Series RP2005/23, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Léonce Ndikumana & Mina Baliamoune-Lutz, 2008. "Corruption and Growth: Exploring the Investment Channel," UMASS Amherst Economics Working Papers 2008-08, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Economics.
- Paul Mosley & John Hudson & Sara Horrell, 1992. "Aid, the public sector and the market in less developed countries: A return to the scene of the crime," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 4(2), pages 139-150, 03.
- Fielding, David & McGillivray, Mark & Torres, Sebastian, 2006. "A Wider Approach to Aid Effectiveness: Correlated Impacts on Health, Wealth, Fertility and Education," Working Paper Series RP2006/23, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Pritchett, Lant & Woolcock, Michael, 2004. "Solutions When the Solution is the Problem: Arraying the Disarray in Development," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 191-212, February.
- Simplice A., Asongu, 2011. "Law, Finance and Investment: does legal origin matter?," MPRA Paper 34698, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- C-J. Dalgaard & H. Hansen, 2001. "On Aid, Growth and Good Policies," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(6), pages 17-41.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:agd:wpaper:12/008. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Asongu Simplice)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.