Cooperation makes beliefs: Weather variation and sources of social trust in Vietnam
In this paper, I investigate the origins of social trust within Vietnam. By combining a unique contemporary survey of households with historical data on weather variation, I show that individuals who are heavily threatened by negative weather fluctuation exhibit more trust in neighbours and others within their close group. The evidence indicates that the effects of weather variation on social trust are transmitted through strengthening the cooperation among village peasants as they cope with risk and uncertainty. The results also show that households with higher proportion of agricultural income tend to trust people more. However, the increased strengthening of the village relationships does not erode family ties.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +61 2 6125 3807
Fax: +61 2 6125 0744
Web page: http://rse.anu.edu.au/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dohmen, Thomas J. & Falk, Armin & Huffman, David & Sunde, Uwe, 2012.
"The intergenerational transmission of risk and trust attitudes,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
20051, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Dohmen, Thomas J & Falk, Armin & Huffman, David & Sunde, Uwe, 2008. "The Intergenerational Transmission of Risk and Trust Attitudes," CEPR Discussion Papers 6844, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dohmen, Thomas & Falk, Armin & Huffman, David B. & Sunde, Uwe, 2006. "The Intergenerational Transmission of Risk and Trust Attitudes," IZA Discussion Papers 2380, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Thomas Dohmen & Armin Falk & David Huffman & Uwe Sunde, 2008. "The Intergenerational Transmission of Risk and Trust Attitudes," CESifo Working Paper Series 2307, CESifo Group Munich.
- Cameron, Lisa A. & Shah, Manisha, 2012.
"Risk-Taking Behavior in the Wake of Natural Disasters,"
IZA Discussion Papers
6756, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Lisa Cameron & Manisha Shah, 2015. "Risk-Taking Behavior in the Wake of Natural Disasters," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 50(2), pages 484-515.
- Lisa Cameron & Manisha Shah, 2013. "Risk-Taking Behavior in the Wake of Natural Disasters," NBER Working Papers 19534, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:ese:iserwp:2008-37 is not listed on IDEAS
- Alesina, Alberto & Giuliano, Paola, 2013.
IZA Discussion Papers
7376, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Durante, Ruben, 2009.
"Risk, Cooperation and the Economic Origins of Social Trust: an Empirical Investigation,"
25887, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ruben Durante, 2010. "Risk, Cooperation and the Economic origins of social Trust: an empirical Investigation," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/eu4vqp9ompq, Sciences Po.
- Yann Algan & Pierre Cahuc, 2013. "Trust and Growth," Annual Review of Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 5(1), pages 521-549, 05.
- Yann Algan & Pierre Cahuc, 2010.
"Inherited Trust and Growth,"
Sciences Po publications
info:hdl:2441/432sbils8u9, Sciences Po.
- Ermisch, John & Gambetta, Diego, 2010.
"Do strong family ties inhibit trust?,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 75(3), pages 365-376, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:acb:cbeeco:2012-596. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.