The Dynamics of the Diversified Corporation and the Role of Central Management of Technology
This paper discusses 1) the generic forces that drive the evolution of diversified industrial corporations and their implications for the corporate technology base, 2) the changing role of the central R&D lab in the context of these forces, and 3) the role of management of technology in promoting dynamic coherence in diversified - and highly decentralized - corporations. The line of argument in the paper is illustrated by an indepth case-study of Danfoss, a Danish multi-divisional corporation operating within mechatronical markets.
|Date of creation:||1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.druid.dk/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nicolai J Foss & Jens Fr�slev Christensen, 2001. "A market-process approach to corporate coherence," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(4-5), pages 213-226.
- Dosi, Giovanni, 1982.
"Technological paradigms and technological trajectories : A suggested interpretation of the determinants and directions of technical change,"
Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 147-162, June.
- Dosi, Giovanni, 1993. "Technological paradigms and technological trajectories : A suggested interpretation of the determinants and directions of technical change," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 102-103, April.
- Teece, David J. & Rumelt, Richard & Dosi, Giovanni & Winter, Sidney, 1994. "Understanding corporate coherence : Theory and evidence," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 1-30, January.
- Christensen, Jens Froslev, 1995. "Asset profiles for technological innovation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 727-745, September.
- Ewan Ferlie, 1996. "The Nature And Transformation Of Corporate Headquarters: A Review Of Recent Literature And A Research Agenda," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(4), pages 495-523, 07.
- Pari Patel & Keith Pavitt, 1991. "Large Firms in the Production of the World’s Technology: An Important Case of “Non-Globalisation”," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 22(1), pages 1-21, March.
- Argyres, Nicholas S., 1995. "Technology strategy, governance structure and interdivisional coordination," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 337-358, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aal:abbswp:98-4. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keld Laursen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.