Economic development and regional disparities in France
In: Employment and regional development policy: Market efficiency versus policy intervention
To begin with, we present some features of the regional development in France, insisting on the concentration and specialization phenomena shown by the regional economies. We will see that the territory of France, despite important transformations especially in favour of the South of the country, is still suffering from profound imbalances, particularly between the region of Paris and the province. Then we analyze the issue of disparities of the levels of development and their convergence over the last decades. These disparities are still very strong and do not seem to decrease but very slowly.
|This chapter was published in: Dormard, Serge Employment and regional development policy: Market efficiency versus policy intervention, Verlag der ARL - Akademie für Raumforschung und Landesplanung — Hannover, pages 50-67, 2004.|
|This item is provided by Akademie für Raumforschung und Landesplanung (ARL) - Leibniz-Forum für Raumwissenschaften in its series Studies in Spatial Development: Chapters with number 62289.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Hohenzollernstr. 11, 30161 Hannover|
Web page: http://www.arl-net.de/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert J. Barro, 1995.
"Inflation and Economic Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
5326, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lionel Fontagné & Michael Freudenberg, 1999. "Marché unique et développement des échanges," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 326(1), pages 31-52.
- Juan R. Cuadrado-Roura, 2001. "Regional convergence in the European Union: From hypothesis to the actual trends," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 35(3), pages 333-356.
- Combes, Pierre-Philippe, 2000. "Economic Structure and Local Growth: France, 1984-1993," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 329-355, May.
- K.H. Midelfart & H.G. Overman & S.J. Redding & A.J. Venables, 2000. "The location of European industry," European Economy - Economic Papers 2008 - 2015 142, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Marius Brülhart, 1998. "Trading Places: Industrial Specialization in the European Union," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(3), pages 319-346, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:arlssc:62289. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.