Monetary Policy and the Economic Well-being of Canadians
In: The Review of Economic Performance and Social Progress 2001: The Longest Decade: Canada in the 1990s
In this chapter, Paul Jenkins and Brian O'Reilly survey the monetary policy developments in the 1990s, focusing on links between monetary policy and the economic well-being of Canadians. The Bank of Canada economists do admit that tight monetary policy in the early 1990s hurt growth in the short-term, but they argue that such action was necessary to ratchet down entrenched inflationary expectations. Moreover, they argue that stagnation in the early part of the decade was not simply the result of monetary policy, but also reflected a weak US economy and structural problems in the Canadian economy.
|This chapter was published in: |
|This item is provided by Centre for the Study of Living Standards & The Institutute for Research on Public Policy in its series The Review of Economic Performance and Social Progress with number v:1:y:2001:pjbo.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.csls.ca/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.csls.ca Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ragan, Christopher, 1998. "On the Believable Benefits of Low Inflation," Staff Working Papers 98-15, Bank of Canada.
- Robert J. Shiller, 1997.
"Why Do People Dislike Inflation?,"
in: Reducing Inflation: Motivation and Strategy, pages 13-70
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Muller, P. & M. Zelmer, 1999. "Greater Transparency in Monetary Policy: Impact on Financial Markets," Technical Reports 86, Bank of Canada.
- Pierre Duguay & Stephen Poloz, 1994. "The Role of Economic Projections in Canadian Monetary Policy Formulation," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 20(2), pages 189-199, June.
- David Amirault & Brian O'Reilly, 2001. "Downward Nominal-Wage Rigidity: Micro Evidence from Tobit Models," Staff Working Papers 01-7, Bank of Canada.
- Temple, Jonathan, 2000. " Inflation and Growth: Stories Short and Tall," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(4), pages 395-426, September.
- Alexandre Debs, 2001. "Testing for a Structural Break in the Volatility of Real GDP Growth in Canada," Staff Working Papers 01-9, Bank of Canada.
- Patrick Perrier & Robert Amano, 2000. "Credibility and Monetary Policy," Bank of Canada Review, Bank of Canada, vol. 2000(Spring), pages 11-17.
- Eldar Shafir & Peter Diamond & Amos Tversky, 1997. "Money Illusion," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(2), pages 341-374.
- Charles Freedman, 1995. "The role of monetary conditions and the monetary conditions index in the conduct of policy [speech]," Bank of Canada Review, Bank of Canada, vol. 1995(Autumn), pages 53-59.
- Easterly, William & Fischer, Stanley, 2001.
"Inflation and the Poor,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 33(2), pages 160-78, May.
- Irene Ip & Sheryl King & Geneviève Verdier, 1999. "Structural Influences on Participation Rates: A Canada-U.S. Comparison," A Symposium on Canadian Labour Force Participation in the 1990s (Special Issue of Canadian Business Economics, Volume 7, Number 2, May 1999), in: Andrew Sharpe & Louis Grignon (ed.), A Symposium on Canadian Labour Force Participation in the 1990s (Special Issue of Canadian Business Economics, Volume 7, Number 2, May 1999), pages 25-41 Centre for the Study of Living Standards.
- James Yetman, 2001.
"Gaining Credibility for Inflation Targets,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2001
34, Society for Computational Economics.
- Duguay, Pierre & Longworth, David, 1998. "Macroeconomic models and policy making at the bank of canada," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 357-375, July.
- David A. Dodge, 1998. "Reflections on the Role of Fiscal Policy: The Doug Purvis Memorial Lecture," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 24(3), pages 275-289, September.
- Harberger, Arnold C, 1998. "A Vision of the Growth Process," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(1), pages 1-32, March.
- Toni Gravelle & Richhild Moessner, 2001. "Reactions of Canadian Interest Rates to Macroeconomic Announcements: Implications for Monetary Policy Transparency," Staff Working Papers 01-5, Bank of Canada.
- Charles Freedman & Tiff Macklem, 1998. "A Comment on "The Great Canadian Slump"," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 31(3), pages 646-665, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sls:repsls:v:1:y:2001:pjbo. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CSLS)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask CSLS to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.