Monetary Policy and the Economic Well-being of Canadians
In: The Review of Economic Performance and Social Progress 2001: The Longest Decade: Canada in the 1990s
In this chapter, Paul Jenkins and Brian O'Reilly survey the monetary policy developments in the 1990s, focusing on links between monetary policy and the economic well-being of Canadians. The Bank of Canada economists do admit that tight monetary policy in the early 1990s hurt growth in the short-term, but they argue that such action was necessary to ratchet down entrenched inflationary expectations. Moreover, they argue that stagnation in the early part of the decade was not simply the result of monetary policy, but also reflected a weak US economy and structural problems in the Canadian economy.
|This chapter was published in: |
|This item is provided by Centre for the Study of Living Standards & The Institutute for Research on Public Policy in its series The Review of Economic Performance and Social Progress with number v:1:y:2001:pjbo.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 151 Slater Street, Suite 710, Ottawa, ON K1P 5H3|
Web page: http://www.csls.ca/
More information through EDIRC
Postal:1470 Peel Street, Suite 200, Montreal, QC H3A 1T1
Web page: http://www.irpp.org/
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.csls.ca Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Duguay, Pierre & Longworth, David, 1998. "Macroeconomic models and policy making at the bank of canada," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 357-375, July.
- David Amirault & Brian O'Reilly, 2001. "Downward Nominal-Wage Rigidity: Micro Evidence from Tobit Models," Staff Working Papers 01-7, Bank of Canada.
- Easterly, William & Fischer, Stanley, 2000.
"Inflation and the poor,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2335, The World Bank.
- James Yetman, 2001.
"Gaining Credibility for Inflation Targets,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2001
34, Society for Computational Economics.
- Charles Freedman, 1995. "The role of monetary conditions and the monetary conditions index in the conduct of policy [speech]," Bank of Canada Review, Bank of Canada, vol. 1995(Autumn), pages 53-59.
- Muller, P. & M. Zelmer, 1999. "Greater Transparency in Monetary Policy: Impact on Financial Markets," Technical Reports 86, Bank of Canada.
- Robert J. Shiller, 1996.
"Why Do People Dislike Inflation?,"
NBER Working Papers
5539, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ragan, Christopher, 1998. "On the Believable Benefits of Low Inflation," Staff Working Papers 98-15, Bank of Canada.
- Temple, Jonathan, 2000. " Inflation and Growth: Stories Short and Tall," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(4), pages 395-426, September.
- David A. Dodge, 1998. "Reflections on the Role of Fiscal Policy: The Doug Purvis Memorial Lecture," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 24(3), pages 275-289, September.
- Toni Gravelle & Richhild Moessner, 2001. "Reactions of Canadian Interest Rates to Macroeconomic Announcements: Implications for Monetary Policy Transparency," Staff Working Papers 01-5, Bank of Canada.
- Irene Ip & Sheryl King & Geneviève Verdier, 1999. "Structural Influences on Participation Rates: A Canada-U.S. Comparison," A Symposium on Canadian Labour Force Participation in the 1990s (Special Issue of Canadian Business Economics, Volume 7, Number 2, May 1999), in: Andrew Sharpe & Louis Grignon (ed.), A Symposium on Canadian Labour Force Participation in the 1990s (Special Issue of Canadian Business Economics, Volume 7, Number 2, May 1999), pages 25-41 Centre for the Study of Living Standards.
- Eldar Shafir & Peter Diamond & Amos Tversky, 1997. "Money Illusion," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(2), pages 341-374.
- Alexandre Debs, 2001. "Testing for a Structural Break in the Volatility of Real GDP Growth in Canada," Staff Working Papers 01-9, Bank of Canada.
- Patrick Perrier & Robert Amano, 2000. "Credibility and Monetary Policy," Bank of Canada Review, Bank of Canada, vol. 2000(Spring), pages 11-17.
- Harberger, Arnold C, 1998. "A Vision of the Growth Process," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(1), pages 1-32, March.
- Pierre Duguay & Stephen Poloz, 1994. "The Role of Economic Projections in Canadian Monetary Policy Formulation," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 20(2), pages 189-199, June.
- Charles Freedman & Tiff Macklem, 1998. "A Comment on "The Great Canadian Slump"," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 31(3), pages 646-665, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sls:repsls:v:1:y:2001:pjbo. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CSLS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.