Household Production, Leisure, and Living Standards
In: Measuring Economic Sustainability and Progress
Household production is an important non-market activity and the empirical literature has developed different methods towards valuing household production without, however, providing a rigorous theoretical foundation for the various approaches. We follow the literature spawned by Becker (1965) and develop a model of the household as a producer and consumer that provides a theoretical justification for the two main approaches towards valuing labour in household production, the replacement cost approach and the opportunity cost approach. We provide a justification for the replacement cost approach as a way of valuing labour input into own-account production of households but show also that in general this is an incomplete measure of full consumption. We further develop a cost-of-living index for full consumption and full household income. The consequences of the theoretical model are illustrated by a cross-country comparison, using the data by Ahmad and Koh (2011).
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|This chapter was published in: ||This item is provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Chapters with number
12826.||Handle:|| RePEc:nbr:nberch:12826||Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alan B. Krueger & Andreas I. Mueller, 2012.
"The Lot Of The Unemployed: A Time Use Perspective,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
European Economic Association, vol. 10(4), pages 765-794, 08.
- Alan B. Krueger & Andreas Mueller, 2008. "The Lot of the Unemployed: A Time Use Perspective," Working Papers 1062, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Krueger, Alan B. & Mueller, Andreas I., 2008. "The Lot of the Unemployed: A Time Use Perspective," IZA Discussion Papers 3490, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Robert E. Lipsey & Helen Stone Tice, 1989. "The Measurement of Saving, Investment, and Wealth," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number lips89-1, October.
- Nadim Ahmad & Seung-Hee Koh, 2011. "Incorporating Estimates of Household Production of Non-Market Services into International Comparisons of Material Well-Being," OECD Statistics Working Papers 2011/7, OECD Publishing.
- Pollak, Robert A., 1989. "The Theory of the Cost-of-Living Index," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195058703, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberch:12826. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.