Information and Communication Technologies and Broad-Based Development : A Partial Review of the Evidence
Information and communication technologies (ICTs) are increasingly seen as integral to the development process. This paper reviews some of the evidence for the link between telecommunications and the Internet and economic growth, the likely impact of the new ICTs on income inequality and anecdotal evidence regarding the role of the Internet in improving government services and governance. It looks at methods to maximize access to the new ICTs, and improve their development impact both in promoting income generation and the provision of quality services.
|This book is provided by The World Bank in its series World Bank Publications with number 15053 and published in 2003-12.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: https://openknowledge.worldbank.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Garcia-Mila, Teresa & McGuire, Therese J., 1992. "The contribution of publicly provided inputs to states' economies," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 229-241, June.
- Easterly, William & Rebelo, Sergio, 1993.
"Fiscal policy and economic growth: An empirical investigation,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 417-458, December.
- William Easterly & Sergio Rebelo, 1993. "Fiscal Policy and Economic Growth: An Empirical Investigation," NBER Working Papers 4499, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Easterly, William & Rebelo, Sérgio, 1994. "Fiscal Policy and Economic Growth: An Empirical Investigation," CEPR Discussion Papers 885, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Madden, Gary G & Savage, Scott J, 1997.
"CEE telecommunications investment and economic growth,"
11843, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 25 Jul 1997.
- Madden, Gary & Savage, Scott J., 1998. "CEE telecommunications investment and economic growth," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 173-195, June.
- Mansell, Robin, 1999. "Information and communication technologies for development: assessing the potential and the risks," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 35-50, February.
- Antonelli, Cristiano, 1996. "The network of networks: Localized technological change in telecommunications and productivity growth," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 317-335, December.
- Spiros Bougheas & Panicos O. Demetriades & Theofanis P. Mamuneas, 2000.
"Infrastructure, specialization, and economic growth,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 33(2), pages 506-522, May.
- Panicos O. Demetriades & Spiros Bougheas, 1995. "Infrastructure, Specialisation and Economic Growth," Keele Department of Economics Discussion Papers (1995-2001) 95/15, Department of Economics, Keele University.
- Barro, R.J., 1989.
"Economic Growth In A Cross Section Of Countries,"
RCER Working Papers
201, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:106:y:1991:i:2:p:445-502 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:112:y:1997:i:4:p:1203-50 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bloom, David E. & Canning, David & Fink, Gunther & Finlay, Jocelyn E., 2007.
"Does age structure forecast economic growth?,"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 569-585.
- David E. Bloom & David Canning & Günther Fink & Jocelyn Finlay, 2006. "Does Age Structure Forecast Economic Growth?," PGDA Working Papers 2006, Program on the Global Demography of Aging.
- David E. Bloom & David Canning & Günther Fink & Jocelyn E. Finlay, 2007. "Does Age Structure Forecast Economic Growth?," NBER Working Papers 13221, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pohjola, M., 1998. "Information Technology and Economic Development: An Introduction to the Research Issues," Research Paper 153, World Institute for Development Economics Research.
- Hirschman, Albert O, 1982. "Rival Interpretations of Market Society: Civilizing, Destructive, or Feeble?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 20(4), pages 1463-84, December.
- J. Bradford De Long & Lawrence H. Summers, 1991. "Equipment Investment and Economic Growth," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 106(2), pages 445-502.
- Talero, E. & Gaudette, P., 1996. "Harnessing Information for Development. A proposal for a World Bank Group Strategy," World Bank - Discussion Papers 313, World Bank.
- Hardy, Andrew P., 1980. "The role of the telephone in economic development," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 278-286, December.
- Alicia H. Munnell, 1992. "Policy Watch: Infrastructure Investment and Economic Growth," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(4), pages 189-198, Fall.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbpubs:15053. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Breineder)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.