La microfinance : quelles leçons tirées des expériences des pays en développement ?
After a summary of the main achievements in microfinance, the thesis provides an overview of microfinance institutions (MFIs) in developing countries between 2000 and 2009. A thorough study of microfinance in sub-Saharan Africa is also proposed. It serves as a prelude to the econometric analysis of the determinants of financial and social performances of MFIs and to the review of the trade-offs between the two objectives in this region. The model is also estimated with data from Latin America and the Caribbean to test, amongst others, its spatial robustness. The results show that despite their strong growth, MFIs remain fragile because of arrears and low profitability. In addition, there is no universal model of microfinance without regional specificities. The commercialization of the sector is called into question because although it does not necessarily lead to social mission drift, it does notimprove financial performance. Finally, the richness of the sector comes from itssegmentation while its weakness is due to its lack of organization, with competition leading to increasing risk rather than product diversification.
|This book is provided by Paris Dauphine University in its series Economics Thesis from University Paris Dauphine with number 123456789/12692 and published in 2013.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.dauphine.fr/en/welcome.html|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mersland, Roy, 2007.
"The cost of ownership in microfinance organization,"
2061, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mersland, Roy, 2009. "The Cost of Ownership in Microfinance Organizations," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 469-478, February.
- Hubert Tchakoute Tchuigoua, 2011. "Étude Comparative Des Performances Des Institutions De Microfinance D’Afrique Sub‐Saharienne Selon Leur Statut Légal," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 82(1), pages 63-76, March.
- Beatriz Armendáriz & Jonathan Morduch, 2010.
"The Economics of Microfinance, Second Edition,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 2, volume 1, number 0262014106.
- Beatriz Armendariz & Ariane Szafarz, 2009.
"On Mission Drift In Microfinance Institutions,"
Working Papers CEB
09-015.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Beatriz Armendariz & Ariane Szafarz, 2011. "On Mission Drift in Microfinance Institutions," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/97387, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Armendáriz, Beatriz & Szafarz, Ariane, 2011. "On mission drift in microfinance institutions," MPRA Paper 31041, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2010.
- Mark Schreiner, 2001. "Seven Aspects of Loan Size," Development and Comp Systems 0109001, EconWPA.
- Roy Mersland & Reidar Øystein Strøm, 2008. "Performance and trade-offs in Microfinance Organisations-does ownership matter?," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(5), pages 598-612.
- Servin, Roselia & Lensink, Robert & van den Berg, Marrit, 2012. "Ownership and technical efficiency of microfinance institutions: Empirical evidence from Latin America," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 2136-2144.
- repec:idb:brikps:78868 is not listed on IDEAS
- Daniel Hardy & Paul Holden & Vassili Prokopenko, 2003.
"Microfinance institutions and public policy,"
Journal of Economic Policy Reform,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(3), pages 147-158.
- Copestake, James, 2007. "Mainstreaming Microfinance: Social Performance Management or Mission Drift?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(10), pages 1721-1738, October.
- Ulrich Kohler & Frauke Kreuter, 2009. "Data Analysis using Stata, 2nd Edition," Stata Press books, StataCorp LP, number daus2, September.
- Desrochers, Martin & Fischer, Klaus P., 2002. "Corporate Governance and Depository Institutions Failure: the Case of an Emerging Market Economy," Cahiers de recherche 0201, CIRPEE.
- Ahlin, Christian & Lin, Jocelyn & Maio, Michael, 2011. "Where does microfinance flourish? Microfinance institution performance in macroeconomic context," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(2), pages 105-120, July.
- Esubalew Assefa & Niels Hermes & Aljar Meesters, 2013. "Competition and the performance of microfinance institutions," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(9), pages 767-782, May.
- Cull, Robert & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Morduch, Jonathan, 2006.
"Financial performance and outreach : a global analysis of leading microbanks,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3827, The World Bank.
- Robert Cull & Asli Demirguç-Kunt & Jonathan Morduch, 2007. "Financial performance and outreach: a global analysis of leading microbanks," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(517), pages F107-F133, 02.
- Crespi, Rafel & Garcia-Cestona, Miguel A. & Salas, Vicente, 2004. "Governance mechanisms in Spanish banks. Does ownership matter?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(10), pages 2311-2330, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dau:thesis:123456789/12692. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexandre Faure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.